I have this bike...Now with photos!

GTIALEX

Retro Newbie
Hi...
I inherited this Marin Nail Trail last year. I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on any details about it.
All i know is that its light compared to any other bike i have and is fun to ride around the local coutnry roads after college and on the weekend.

I have seen pictures of the forks on this website and have been told money was spent on it by a previous owner upgrading certain parts.

Tell me what u think and general stufff please. Sorry if its not retro much aswell
[/b]

Attachments

• P3170011 resized.JPG
    P3170011 resized.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,282
  • P3170006 resize.JPG
    P3170006 resize.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,281
  • P3170013 resized.JPG
    P3170013 resized.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,280
As far as I can see that frame is from a very different period from most of the components. That in itself is not a problem, it just suggests that maybe the previous owner had a bike with all those bits on, and then replaced the frame only with a much newer one. Most of that kit would appear to be from around the 1994/5 ish period, whereas the frame is from????? late 90's early 00's?

development_cycle":rhbxurtv said:
As far as I can see that frame is from a very different period from most of the components. That in itself is not a problem, it just suggests that maybe the previous owner had a bike with all those bits on, and then replaced the frame only with a much newer one. Most of that kit would appear to be from around the 1994/5 ish period, whereas the frame is from????? late 90's early 00's?
Or the frame failed and that was the replacement from Marin

That is possible but I don't think the Nail Trail was spec'd with XT/XTR (the canti's look like M900) at that time if ever. Even the Indian Fire Trail had a mix of XT and LX in '94 and with some "White Industries" bits in '95

Think the frame is from 2000 after a bit of research and things...Someone suggested the forks have too little travel for the frame design. And that it may cause strange handling and awkward riding position??

Myself, I would think a frame replacement, the bits that are fitted are the remains of a previous machine. You see, although a frame from whatever period was specc'd with whatever, once a rider has experienced something other, to make a new frame feel 'right', a similar if not the same level of equiptment is fitted in lieu of the original.

For example, my last bike was XT throughout, my replacement holds Altus A10, which is not that bad for a entry level groupset, I am surprised, at least the cantis are better than my old XT cantis, that I am pleased with, they can stay, although the rest of the groupset is now 90's XT.

I for 12 years got used to the refinement of XT, Altus A10 is good, but it lacks the refinement of precise shifts that XT thumbies give, and I used to run them in friction mode.

Anyways, I like a bike that cannot be pinned down to a period, it shows the riders interest over the yeas and it is a sign that the interest never waned.

The forks will be shorter travel than the frame was possibly intended for, however at the end of the day its the feel of the bike that is affected and if you dont have a problem with it. An interesting find with those parts on it.

development_cycle":2qu6uq8i said:
.. (the canti's look like M900)...
they are not though. Somthing much cheaper I would have to guess, as the one's in the pictures have external springs.

JeRkY":1cfmdrtk said:
The forks will be shorter travel than the frame was possibly intended for, however at the end of the day its the feel of the bike that is affected and if you dont have a problem with it. An interesting find with those parts on it.

That was what I noticed after getting over the age differences. I know this from the GFs (lancs) Merlin which had standard height rigid forks on, felt horrid and unstable, still feels a bit divey on the 80mm Marzocchi EXR with weight on em.

Course if you decide to upgrade the forks for longer modern ones drop me a PM! ;)

Latest posts

Back