Forks for Hei Hei

Neil G

Old School Grand Master
I'm thinking of ditching the Dukes on my Hei Hei for some rigids to try and save weight and build something that is a bit more in keeping with way the bike rode originally.

Would like Pace carbons but can't really stretch to £100 plus at the moment so was having a look at new Surly and Salsa forks which seem good under a ton

These forks say they are suspension corrected for 80mm..would they be okay on the Kona? Think the crown to axle on the Surlys are around 413mm

Are you using Threaded or Aheadset? I've just dug out my P2's Triple butted and Velocity stem that I took off my 1993 Kileaua back in the day. I was gonna put them in the for sale section, but if you are running threaded then they would suit. £15 for both plus postage.

It's a pity the Hei Hei isn't a 94, but if you're sure it's a 93 then I think it was built for a 39cm P2. From 94 onwards, they were built for the 41cm P2s that you can still get today.

Of those you mentioned, it's a pity that the only one that would give the same head angle as a 94 P2 is the curved Surley fork, which frankly is going to look odd on a Hei Hei. Even that angle is slacker than Joe Murray intended - not too dire I suppose, but I wouldn't go much longer than that.

Anthony":st9c82fg said:
It's a pity the Hei Hei isn't a 94, but if you're sure it's a 93 then I think it was built for a 39cm P2. From 94 onwards, they were built for the 41cm P2s that you can still get today.

Of those you mentioned, it's a pity that the only one that would give the same head angle as a 94 P2 is the curved Surley fork, which frankly is going to look odd on a Hei Hei. Even that angle is slacker than Joe Murray intended - not too dire I suppose, but I wouldn't go much longer than that.

Anthonys right - would change the angle quite a lot and wouldnt look right!!

you could get some triple butted p2's and a velocity stem for less than that on here. plus you wouldnt have those ugly disc tab things which would look soooooooooo wrong on a bike that age!! :LOL:

Anthony":n57qivqt said:

Cheers for the info.

I can't remember the exact time I brought the bike, got the reciept somewhere so could find out but I think it's a '93 frame

I don't see too much of an issue with running the Surlys, the bike isn't really a full retro build as it has a full 2005/6 XTR group on and is going to be used regularl
but I will keep on the lookout for a P2

Back