GT STS-5- info pls

fatfixie

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Evening all

was given one of these by a friend yesterday

made of steel, with an odd car airbag-looking elastomer setup

Can anyone give me any further info, or provide a spare elastomer set as this one is fecked. :)

Ta

Andy

p.s- my first GT :D

a pic of the aforementioned elastomer stack.

I can't find any info on these anywhere on the web :(

DSCN0401.jpg

i didnt think there was ever an LTS 5 but there was a 5000. it was made of steel and had an elastomer shock

i suspect it had its own gravity field, and was GT's way into the lower ends of the FS market. probably retailed about 600 quid

It is steel but has an LTS-5 decal on both sides of the top tube

Surprisingly un-heavy

Does anyone know if i can fit an air-shock?

Andy

you could in theory bolt on a complete rear triangle from a better LTS. but that'd probably cost more than just getting a better LTS

if you're some kind of uber fabricator, anything is possible

'Tis LTS 5 indeed, from about 1996. Steel all round, came with Alivio and yellow RST forks to match the rear. I'm pretty sure the front triangle mounting is different to a more up-market LTS so you wouldn't be able to swap rear triangles.

If you want to change the elastomers try with motocross top out bumpers. They worked fine both on a Cycletech and on a Proflex.

Looks like elastomers from proflex. The interchangable black disc in the middle should be used to control "preload".

Callum over at rapid decent scotland offers aftermarket elastomers for a whole range of proflex bikes and at different springweights. Perhaps he can help you out. He just broke his arm or something too, so it means hes stuck in his office getting orders out quicker than normal.

http://www.rapiddescentscotland.co.uk/

tom y knowlege you cant retro fit another rear end onto the elastomer LTs as the rear end was different to all the other LTS frames. It might be worth a try but why bother when you could pick up a full frame for less than I have seen rear ends sell for individually.

Bens Cycles has these elastometers for sale still, keep it as it was ment to be.

Good luck with it.

Back