DT Hugi / S-Works front hub HELP!

red_dread

Dirt Disciple
I think I've posted something along these lines before, but now I can be more specific, and I've even taken a picture!

My 1999 S-Works branded Hugi hub now appears to have sand instead of bearings in it. I've worked out how to change the cartridges but can't find replacements.

The bearings are inscribed with "NTN 600ZLB", but no amount of googling can find me a pair of replacements.

Anyone know anything?

Attachments

• hub1.jpg
    hub1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 725
are these not the same as all the hugi's? if so they take teh same ones as hope's i thought. and my lbs always seems to get hold of them for my hugis really easily and cheaply.

it's the bearings and simple approach that took me away from king and back to DT.

red_dread":2opa0t45 said:
The bearings are inscribed with "NTN 600ZLB", but no amount of googling can find me a pair of replacements.

Sometimes, ther inscriptions on the sealings aren't the way to go, because some bearings have sealings from other bearings (with different dimensions).

The "ever good" method is to measure the bearing ;) (inner and outer diameter and width) then you can find the proper one exactly. DT hubs use popular types of bearings, so there shouldn't be a problem to match some.

Don't have to tell you that you need to remove the bearing from the hub to measure it :LOL: .

BTW, NTN is a bearing manufacturer (a good one ;) ) and the letters after bearing number stand for type of seals e.g. ZZ - two thin metal plates, 2RS - hard rubber-plastic seals.

Hope it helps

Cheers
Lukasz

^^ what he said, plus generic bearings (ie non bike specific ones) tend not to carry that price premium. maybe check out ebay for some cheap ceramics? or you shouldnt have to pay more than a tenner a pop for skf.
measurments are to the nearest mm, you need the internal diam, exernal diam and width (at teh risk of being patronising) whitch will represent a universal number code, eg bb bearings are usually 17x30x7 and called 61903 or just 6903.
not sure waht teh hugis use cos i never had to replace them :)

I've seen this before with non-standard code numbers on sealed bearings. Some manufacturers even have bearings custom made for them (FSA Ti ISIS BBs come to mind :evil: ) and you can't get a replacement for love nor money.

Your best bet is to remove one of the bearings and take it to your local bearing supplier. They'll measure it up and supply you with the correct size bearing.

Xesh":3hs0ae0b said:
Your best bet is to remove one of the bearings and take it to your local bearing supplier. They'll measure it up and supply you with the correct size bearing.

This is exactly what i did with a White industries rear hub, paid a fiver each for them, SKF bearings i think ?, the guy couldn't believe such high quality bearings were being used in a bike :roll:

jimihendrix":1qht0xr1 said:
the guy couldn't believe such high quality bearings were being used in a bike :roll:

This is what happened when I first got some at the local supplier. Now that we get all our bearings from there they know better. They only ever supply us with stainless steel ones now. :cool:

Back