1989 Mongoose IBOC? Any info?

Chicharrero

Retro Newbie
Hi, Just bought a Mongoose iboc which I believe to be from 1989. 18 gears? Can anybody throw any info on this one? I found a photo of a similar one....

Attachments

• mongoose iboc.jpg
    mongoose iboc.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 3,266
MBUK did a review of the Iboc Comp in the early 90's....must dig it out...I'm sure it was dark blue with a black almost web/lattice effect over the top or something like that.
They rated it really highly too.....i wanted one of those for ages....
Always loved the wishbone seatstays like that of Clockworks...

I can tell you that I was as jealous as sin when a buddy at high school got one of these. So much smarter, IMO at rthe time, than the Saracen I had.

the ad i speak of is either for this one or the blue one of the same range. if it's the blue one, then this one is in a review i have somewhere. if it's the other way round, the the review is the blue one.

if that makes sense?

Im also after info for these

Ive just picked up a 89 IBOC team issue frame and would love to see some info on these bikes :D

I used to race an Iboc Comp in '89

mine came with 21 speed Exage Mountain LX and araya rims from memory

had it set up with 18" wide bars and a 170mm Syncros stem. Couldn't work out why i kept getting a sore back :)

Andy

Here are the images of the bike I bought on.....yes..ebay. Absolute wreck! £18...
araya rim front...not the back though...exage hubs...mountain lx mechs?
Will try to change handlebars and pedals and seat....tyres...well as original as possible without going too far.

fatfixie":2yr206ce said:
I used to race an Iboc Comp in '89

mine came with 21 speed Exage Mountain LX and araya rims from memory

had it set up with 18" wide bars and a 170mm Syncros stem. Couldn't work out why i kept getting a sore back :)

Andy

That was the parts spec. Then new Mountain LX all around, Biopace chainrings, RM-20's with knock-off Farmer Johns. Crappy gel saddle and squeaky post. My wife had one, rode the crap out of it for years. I still have the wheels in my garage.

Back