Shimano rech mechs, rebuildable?

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
The pivots on my XT short cage rear mech are rubber ducked. Is this something that is repairable or is it straight in the skip? Ta.

Sure I've seen lots of spare parts lists for these so that suggests rebuildability is possible :cool:

I think all the pivots are shot. The main pivot at the frame is knackerded and I think both the paralellagram pins have play in them. As the body is aluminium and the pins seem to be steel I thought the mech was shot but thought i'd ask.

you can only dissemble shimano rear mechs with a special tool ...they cost about 7 quid and are easil obtainable from most diy stores.ps if you own a mavic rear mech then you can take that apart but the crclips are tiny and prone to fridge suck.

Attachments

• 22499291b2ba3f60.jpg
    22499291b2ba3f60.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 886
gibbleking":2eoj9f88 said:
you can only dissemble shimano rear mechs with a special tool ...they cost about 7 quid
Unless I'm very much mistaken that's an 'Estwing' hammer you've used in your picture, in which case you'd be looking at spending alot more than 7 quid.
In fact it'd be cheaper to buy a new rear mech...

. . . I'll get my coat . . .

i have several in my collection being a sparkie including a very nice plasterboard one and 1 that you can remove the head with star nuts...cost a sodding bomb..still yet to use them in anger.i stick with the stanly anti vibration jobbie for now.....must up my call out fees...need another hammer...heheh

Back