Alpinestars Al Mega Lx

chrisv40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Collected this Sunday night and i am pleasantly surprised by the overall condition. Can anyone tell me about the original spec, it has an Exage 500 Lx rear mech, Deore Lx front mech, the chainset looks original, and it had non matching cantis which i have swapped for black Lx for the moment. One pair of cantis were Exage would these have been the originals? Before anyone asks the frame is in great shape with no cracks and the previous owner had it for years and rode it quite hard. Thanks for any help. :D

Attachments

• ABCD0018.JPG
    ABCD0018.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,237
Yes but were does the Exage 500 Lx mech fit into shimanos line up (its a 1992 by the way), was this classed as Lx?

It's a 1991 for sure. The catalogue is in the scans section. The al-mega did not exist i'm afraid, they did dx and xt only in 1991, so has had a groupset change at some point if indeed it is aluminium. The paint has been resprayed also at some point. Just be aware that the 91 al-mega's are expecially prone to cracking.

Hope this helps.

Yep definitely aluminium and it was resprayed a few years ago, so should i be looking for Dx? What year did the Al Mega Lx come out then?

Regarding the problem of cracking if it has survived 18 years of being used as it was intended how likely is it to happen now? Surely some of them were built properly or there wouldn't be any left.

chrisv40":c1qu5arb said:
Regarding the problem of cracking if it has survived 18 years of being used as it was intended how likely is it to happen now? Surely some of them were built properly or there wouldn't be any left.

Very,even some NOS ones have cracked without ever being ridden.May never happen though,ride it and enjoy.

Back