Metric or what?

LQQK

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
What system of measurements do you use in the UK (imperial or metric)?
Some things are shown as metric, and then I read about mpg rather than km/l.
Just curious...

Hard question to answer simply.

Metric is taught in schools (and has been for 30+ years), but all road signs are still in miles.
UK engineering companies all work and design in metric. The fun starts with US clients. ;)

Most of us are kinda bilingual. Though I'm an engineer by training I would in conversation still say that something is around 3 feet long etc.

I don't really understand gallons any more except for mpg. All fuel is sold and priced in litres. Except beer.

I use both, sometimes in the same sentence. Like:

"Yeah you go about a mile down the road, take a left and then it's about 100 metres on the right hand side". :LOL: :LOL:

I think of bike frames in inches, for some reason I can't visualise the size of a frame if given in cm. Some sort of mental block :)

at least these are real measurements , what fooks me off is when someone refers to something in football pitchs or bus lengths :roll: :x

or holding your hands out and saying " about that long " :LOL:

hamster":143j7m4m said:
UK engineering companies all work and design in metric.

And quite often using old Cincinnati machines calibrated in imperial too. :roll: :D

All you have to remember is 25.4 ;)

The Government (and EU) Line is metric. Just ask those market traders taken to court for selling in imperial :( But most over 30's think and use imperial :D

basically we're supposed to be fully metric, just like we're supposed to be european, but none of us want to be, so imperial hangs around by force of public opinion.
there was alot of trouble recently with it being made compulsary for fruit and veg weights and whatnot to be labled in metric cos of the eu charter, but poloticians never miss a chance to be popularist so it got chucked out. same with road signs, all in miles.
for anything that matters, nuts and bolts, tools, anything that needs to be exact, its all metric these days. anything else you can take your pick. pretty much the same in usa no?

The thing with being European is that the small strip of water called the English Channel is to many of us nearly as wide as the Atlantic :)

Back