Headtube Fixes - Lend me your brains and experience!

digitalkreation

Retro Guru
Hi all,

So my 96 XXTeam frame (Kinesis 7005 series aluminum) has a small crack at the bottom of the headtube. It's about 8mm in length and starts at the bottom of the headtube, right in the front. Not a great spot for this, I know.

I'm seeking your opinions and experience (if you've repaired something like this). The way I see it, I have these choices:

1. Repair it by removing material and filling it with a weld.
2. Place something tightly around it to prevent it from expanding, like the complete opposite of a shim.
3. Replacing the head tube completely.

Obviously, #3 would be the best option, but does anyone have knowledge or experiencing in doing this with an aluminum bike? I've heard of it being done with steel.

#2 would likely be easiest, but I wouldn't want to use something as cheap as a hose clamp, I'd want something really nice, ideally from aluminum tube, perhaps something like a spacer, if I can find the exact diameter and size I need, and if it can be slipped on nice and tight.

I think I would avoid #1 since it's such a high stress area of the frame, I'd think it would just act up again down the road.

Let's hear your thoughts!

I had one done years ago by a friend.
I got him to drill a small hole at the end of the crack and then run a bead of weld down the crack. Reamed the head tube and cleaned up the weld!

Well, what I was going to suggest was that you stop-drill the crack (to prevent further propagation) and then press on a sleeve to ring reinforce it.

Pretty much as above then.....

I have the same problem but on the rear of the headtube, and there is no room for a collar as the downtube meets the headtube near the ends. I was thinking maybe a gusset welded on the top (where it meets the headtube, not actually on the top of it) of the downtube to reinforce. Thoughts?

Someone on here had a gusset welded in the same place but I can't find the thread, not sure it was alloy though!

Is it really possible to repair an Alu frame? I've always had in my mind that if you take a heat treated frame and then weld it the process of welding screws with the heat treating. To make the metal strong again you need to re-heat treat it. Am I completely out on that???

Back