1989 UK Mountain Bike Championships on YouTube

1988_Ben

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This is my first posting on RetroBike, so hello to everyone !

I've been a keen mountain biker since 1988 (when I was 14) and I'm one of those people who never throws things away ! I'd probably still be racing on my '89 Explosif if it hadn't been nicked 10 years ago...

I recently found my old VHS recording of the 1989 Carlsberg UK Mountain Bike Championships, that I taped off ITV 20 years ago. It's sort of what got me and a few friends into racing. I've uploaded the first 10 minutes to YouTube, the rest to follow.

It's amazing seeing Phil Liggett having to explain what a mountain bike is. Despite the sport being in its infancy back then, the UK champs that year appears to have been very well organised. In fact, I don't think x-country racing has really improved much since then.

Anyway, that's enough nattering, here's my vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qet7pWVfhI8

great link and welcome to retro bike- what was the dayglow bike phil was using as his typical "mountain bike"?

I really enjoyed watching that, When are you posting the rest I want to see what happens :D

Welcome too

Can I ask what you used to transfer it over from VHS with? I have a load of mid-90`s on VHS too :D

TheGreenRabbit":27pigpi4 said:
Welcome and thank you for uploading this. It looks like a retrobike ride with more riding and less faffing.

:shock: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

daj":2g9wjfho said:
I really enjoyed watching that, When are you posting the rest I want to see what happens :D

Welcome too

Can I ask what you used to transfer it over from VHS with? I have a load of mid-90`s on VHS too :D

I'll try and do the rest over the next 2 days. The problem is that the recording was done on a dodgy old tape, and it jams the player each time I play it. I'm relieved to have finally got some of it converted to digital.

I'm using a Pinnacle DC1000 video capture card and Adobe Premiere editing software. But you don't need anything that complex - to do basic VHS to MPEG conversion you can buy simple plugin devices for a lot less money, just check Maplin electronics or a PC shop. You'll need a VCR with composite/SCART output, as the video capturing device will have a composite (yellow phono socket) input.

hi n welcome,ace vid :D

beer sponsered races!if they still did,ill still race

if carlsberg made bike races,theyd probobly be.....................

Back