Answer Manitou Comp?

haggis

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Does anyone have any info on these forks? Maintenance, travel construction, age, how much i should pay? and just plain are they any good? been offered a minty looking set for my cannondale from a friend and they seem to have a bit of bounce left in the elastomers. Also is it worth getting springs? if so my Judy FSX came with one spring in one leg and a set of elastomers in the other. Is this the way to go? cheers guys

They were fitted as standard on a Diamondback Response Elite I had in 1995/6.

Was a good, strong, reliable fork.

I would say £20-30 would be fair depending on condition.

Ditto on Pickle's estimate.

Regarding moving to springs however, in my opinion, it's not a great move unless your fork has damping, which the comp does not. Give the elastomers a try first, and if they're not up to the task, perhaps get some new ones at SuspensionForkParts.com..

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I cant see the logic in going for elastomers and a spring :?

I'd try the elastomers first, see how you get on.

that website looks like a gold mine for those seeking replacement elastomers digitalkreation. do you know what the extra compression elastomer is for?

Yeah, the URL is misleading, you'd think that they service (well) all kinds of forks, but their bread and butter is elastomers and elastomer based forks. I stumbled upon them not long ago.

Not sure if the spare elastomer is just a spare, or if it serves another function. I'm new to the Manitou forks (just getting into them now for a build or two) but I saw somewhere that the Manitou long travel kit is essentially swapping in an extra elastomer instead of the bottom out stopper or something..

What you might be able to do is fit the elastomers from another model on manitou. I have a comp lying around and the compression rod has settings for the other forks in the Manitou 4 period (the Magnum and EFC).

I'm almost certain you could use Magnum elastomers as the only difference seems to be the elastomer stack. The Magnum had a stack of elastomers while the comp had a single super long one.

D_XZ":2t9pifnd said:
What you might be able to do is fit the elastomers from another model on manitou. I have a comp lying around and the compression rod has settings for the other forks in the Manitou 4 period (the Magnum and EFC).

I'm almost certain you could use Magnum elastomers as the only difference seems to be the elastomer stack. The Magnum had a stack of elastomers while the comp had a single super long one.

So the Comp is just 2 big elastomers? 1 in either leg?

Back