Who has the most early clipless pedals????

GoldenEraMTB

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I was discussing with a friend the other day clipless pedals and their origin...

Anyone here have pics of their early, (1993 and earlier), SPD or otherwise clipless pics, along with facts, opinions, links, anecdotes, etc on early clipless pedal history?

Weren't Shimano PD-M737's the first clipless ATB pedals? I think Look popped out with the first clipless road pedals ...maybe even as early as 84.
I had both the first year they were introduced.

I rode the Onza's for more than a year and find a few people here that still use them. They were and still are rubbish so were the Ritchey's and the early Eggbeaters. Time work better than any of these and last forever.

gm1230126":1pl66xr2 said:
Weren't Shimano PD-M737's the first clipless ATB pedals?

They missed the boat by a couple of years! Scott bought out on first in 1990 and then Grafton with the original Speed Trap, Look bought out their MTB clipless (read: a road clipless with a serrated plate on it for grip) in 1993 with Shimano not far off. As always, Shimano relied on the market to make mistakes so they could learn and copy before they entered.

There's a great history of pedals here:

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuse ... museum.mtb

this pedal was produced in the 1880's doesnt look that much different from alot of modern cycle pedals.

IMG_2228_resize.jpg

Mr Chicken":3pbn8ni9 said:
this pedal was produced in the 1880's doesnt look that much different from alot of modern cycle pedals.

IMG_2228_resize.jpg

And that picture has "what to do" with the original posted topic question on the origin of clipless pedals? :?

gm1230126":2fvc3jca said:
And that picture has "what to do" with the original posted topic question on the origin of clipless pedals? :?

No clips on that pedal - so clip-less! :LOL:

cchris2lou":1h5u5plk said:
737 were out late 1991 , early 1992 .

Look mtb version were later .

Absolutely right, just re-read my post and I was wrong, Shimano were beaten to the market by Grafton and Scott, at the same time as Speedplay Magnums, but before Look/Campag. Cheers for the correction Chris

Back