advice needed - Magura content

dekerf2

Dirt Disciple
I have heard some horror stories that maguras can sometimes break the brake boss, would some frames be too delicate (like 853 or similar) and more prone to cracking in this area or would the use of a brake booster prevent this from happening?

I've never had any problems with my Maguras on any sort of frame. I always use the supplied boosters though. Others may disagree.

i had the same thoughts but was pleased to find out my 96 explosif (columbus max) had maguras as original spec. i doubt the bosses would break as the seat stays flex quite a bit. i have heard people say about rims colapsing though :?

I guess you'll only bend 'em if you clamp them on really hard – surely you only need the same amount of force be that magura, V, or cantis to lock up the wheel?? Anything after that is just excess.

dekerf2":24msqk4o said:
I have heard some horror stories that maguras can sometimes break the brake boss, would some frames be too delicate (like 853 or similar) and more prone to cracking in this area or would the use of a brake booster prevent this from happening?

Urban myth dude ;)

I'm much heavier than I used to be and I pull them on like motherfu****s when I'm riding....never snapped anything since 1991 ;)

(apart from ribs :roll: :LOL: )

Neill

I have run them for 12 years on a Marin Pine mountain...no problems, the only thing I've ever done is snap in new pads.

neilll":udsj618n said:
dekerf2":udsj618n said:

Urban myth dude ;)

It's not. I've broken a brake boss with maguras before and it was on a brand new bike. The manager of the shop where I worked at the time wasn't too happy with me either. Must have been a weakness in the weld, as it was on a cromo frame. I managed to convice him that I'd saved the shop from a lawsuit! :LOL:

Xesh":1vqivk04 said:
It's not. I've broken a brake boss with maguras before and it was on a brand new bike. The manager of the shop where I worked at the time wasn't too happy with me either. Must have been a weakness in the weld, as it was on a cromo frame. I managed to convice him that I'd saved the shop from a lawsuit! :LOL:

What was the bike?

neilll":32pym731 said:
What was the bike?

IIrc it was a Univega Alpina 507. DB cromo frame with XT throughout and Magura Race-Line brakes with the carbon brake booster. It was around about '96/7 I think.

It happened because there was a debate on how effective the carbon booster was. Everyone was saying that it was just there for the flash looks. I said it wasn't and removed it and then pulled the brake as hard as I could. The first time it just flexed really badly (the brake bosses must have been 10-15 degrees from straight). It was the second time that one of the bosses came off. It came off without leaving any weld on the stay, hence the reason that I believed the welding to be suspect.

Back