Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:57 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:55 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:18 pm
Posts: 5
I recently bought a set of firm and a set of medium and a set of hard replacement elastomers from www.suspensionforkparts.net, planning to use in a hard/medium combination that I have used for years on my Pace RC35s.
First impressions were that they appeared significantly firmer than the original Pace ones. Having fitted them, they have virtually turned my RC35s into rigid forks!
I am in dialogue with the sales people to seek a satisfactory resolution; having laid to on two sets, I am reluctant to just write them off an order new ones from Pace.
Does anyone else have similar experiences?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:48 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:55 pm
Posts: 4315
Location: In trubble'fsumthin r'uther....North Warwickshire
the manitou parts i ordered have left my forks quite firm too.......i dont particularly mind as it is how i like them, and i am 15 stones so they get some stick!......bear in mind the cold weather will make them feel firm too......daz


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:05 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:06 pm
Posts: 46
I havent bought from them, but I have been looking for Pace Elastomers, Pace themselves only sell the standard sets, not soft or hard.

I chatted to Tim at Fork English, ('justbackdated' on this forum), and he suggested running one less elastomer on one side of the forks to give initial damping and a softer ride, which has worked a treat. Might be worth a try.

i'm guessing they will never be the same as Pace ones, but we won't know as they don't do them anymore! I'd be interested to know how you get on or if you find any elsewhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:49 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:18 pm
Posts: 5
Hmmm, running a single elastomer on one side is an interesting idea that would never have occurred to me but I can't help feeling that it would put undue lateral stress on one side of the crown.

Pace are still advertising elastomers on their website; have they told you that they no longer do them?

I chose the suspensionforkparts option because they appeared to be less "foamy" than the Pace ones and so I thought that they would be less inclined to fall apart like the Pace ones do every few years. It would appear that the lack of foaminess also means a virtual lack of deformability too........


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:04 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:13 pm
Posts: 4283
Location: Royal Forest of Dean (Still looking for the Bear !)
Mijbil wrote:
i'm guessing they will never be the same as Pace ones, but we won't know as they don't do them anymore! I'd be interested to know how you get on or if you find any elsewhere.


Really I bought some hard ones off Pace recently Link below

http://pacecycles.easyspaceshops.com/ep ... s/XCS-0001

I've also used Suspension Fork parts for my Manitou II and for both ends of my Manitou FS running Manitou III's and can't fault them... postage is a little too far north of reasonable if you ask me and import duty just adds to the pain :evil: .

S.F.P even took a set back that I ordered by mistake and swapped them for the right ones, naturally I had to stump up for the postage both ways.


Knowing how big Pace Elastomer are running one leg with one (50%) missing would cause me sleepless nights :shock:

Spud ©™


Attachments:
Pace Elastomers.jpg
Pace Elastomers.jpg [ 98.34 KiB | Viewed 317 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:24 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:13 pm
Posts: 4283
Location: Royal Forest of Dean (Still looking for the Bear !)
JonM wrote:
I chose the suspensionforkparts option because they appeared to be less "foamy" than the Pace ones and so I thought that they would be less inclined to fall apart like the Pace ones do every few years. It would appear that the lack of foaminess also means a virtual lack of deformability too........



Ahh a man who knows his Pace elastomers well... :lol:

I've not done too bad with eleastomers in my Mk1's but 3yrs is the best I've gotten out of them before they go banana shape and the dreaded fork sag sets in.

The neoprene material used by SFP is very close to the OEM material used by Manitou albeit the latter came in pretty colours not just one shade of insipid yellow,
I guess a structure containing lots of air pockets is a lot easier to compress than a solid mass but equally far more prone to losing its structural integrity.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:13 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:06 pm
Posts: 46
I should perhaps clarify that I am running MXCD's which seem to have a smaller elastomer to the RC35, so perhaps running one less might not be such a good idea in the RC35, unless perhaps they were trimmed down slightly?

A little off topic perhaps, but I wonder if the RC35 soft elastomers could be used in the MXCD, and cut in half to be the same size?

Retro Spud wrote:
Mijbil wrote:
i'm guessing they will never be the same as Pace ones, but we won't know as they don't do them anymore! I'd be interested to know how you get on or if you find any elsewhere.


Really I bought some hard ones off Pace recently Link below

http://pacecycles.easyspaceshops.com/ep ... s/XCS-0001

I've also used Suspension Fork parts for my Manitou II and for both ends of my Manitou FS running Manitou III's and can't fault them... postage is a little too far north of reasonable if you ask me and import duty just adds to the pain :evil: .

S.F.P even took a set back that I ordered by mistake and swapped them for the right ones, naturally I had to stump up for the postage both ways.


Knowing how big Pace Elastomer are running one leg with one (50%) missing would cause me sleepless nights :shock:

Spud ©™


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:14 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:36 pm
Posts: 17259
Location: Yorkshire, England
The MCU used aka the foam elastomers... Are such that they deform regularly and do not bulge like an elastomer rod.
You could try buying polyurethane rod on eBay and elsewhere and cut and drill if needed your own.

The MCU deteriorate because they loose their gas iirc. Downside of having predictable consistent springs. Although JUDY used similar, Thiers tend to dry and crumble.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Huelse, mdj82, oext, TSC. and 49 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group