Loose headset on Rockhopper Comp - can anything be done???

yellow-heapster

Dirt Disciple
Bad new from the LBS. I put my wife’s 1989 Rockhopper Comp in for a new headset. Turns out that corrosion/ware has meant that the cones and cups are now so loose on the forks and frame that they can be pulled off by hand. The guy put it all back together (the old headset was less loose than a new one) but he says it’s a big job fixing the frame / forks and not commercially viable.

SWMBO isn’t going to like this. She has owned the bike from new and although she has been the one that has been abusing it for 20 years I’m the one who’s going to get it in the neck for not maintaining it properly (fair comment maybe?) – Can anything be done…?

Sounds like your in a no win postion with the wife :roll: plus this could be so expensive :( Some pictures may help :?

Shim/araldite the crown race onto the forks, skim of JB Weld round the inside of the head tube, leave it a couple of weeks to fully harden, get the LBS to ream to correct diameter, job done. :)

I found out recently there are two sizes of 1" threaded headset :shock: are you sure they tried the right one ?

Do you have a way of accurately messuring and posting the sizes up ?

WD :D

Alot of old school bike shops make shims out out pop cans to shim out the cups and the race,i did this a few times and works a treat :D

get a good headset, with cartridge bearings
liquid metal the headtube and bang the cups in while it's still wet.

leave to harden.

done.

Latest posts

Back