Early Specialized Stumpjumper FSR - Opinions Please

BikePimp

Retro Guru
I found a complete Stumpjumper FSR locally for $150 USD with RS Judy's and mid range Shimano components.

It is the exact same frame as the one pictured but in black.

Anybody ride one of these?

I'm deciding between getting this or spending more and getting a GT LTS.

Attachments

• SpecializedEarlyFSR.jpg
    SpecializedEarlyFSR.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 3,238
Mr Kawasaki has one of them :cool:

There are a lot more rare than the LTS.......so on that basis I would go for it ;)

check the shock, spares are getting exceptionally hard to find now. I sold an S-works version a while back.

FSR

Hi mate
The one pictured above is the 94 Stumpjumper FSR and the black is the 95 Stumpjumper FSR. These are the only two years the FSR came as a stumpjumper. In 96 they were called 'ground control' FSR.
There were a few differences between 94 and 95 mainly components and rear shocks. They are very similar to the S works FSR from the same years, the main difference being that the S works were handbuilt in USA and the Stumpies were handbuilt in Japan. Prestige front triangle and A1 alu rear.
I have a 94 green as above, great machines but I am biased towards my Stumpies :) I am just putting it back together.
To check the size I would measure the seatpost centre to centre and the top tube length as the smaller sizes use the same length seat tube (16,17,18 &19) all measure 19 centre to top.
I have all the specs, cats etc if you want them scanned, most can be found in the archive here I think.
Look in the ebay watch as recently sidekick put a link to his mates frame which was NOS and it is the black 95 one.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Jamie

DSC_0034.jpg

Coming together

The one that I found has a rear Risse shock in good condition. Was that the standard shock or aftermarket?

FSR

Hello again
The black one is the Stumpjumper FSR sport model. The specs can be found here:
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... &Type=bike
It is the cheaper ($1199 V's $1799) of the two Stumpies and could well have come with the Risse shock. The cats have no listing for the comp and dont mention the shock model either but it looks like a alps4 fox. Which is what 94 model came with.
If I remember correctly the Risse one is a coil shock whereas the Fox is an air shock. As mike mentions above spares are getting hard to get for these Alps as fox dont make seals any longer so nobody will service them, being in the US I think hippietech are your best bet for help.
I will keep looking to see what I can dig up. It is strange its not in the cat, but then again my one which is 94 is shown in the larger cat with a straight bar type thing for the rear linkage, a pre production mockup I think :roll:

Jamie
ps: my one above doesnt show the Alps shock.The pic shows it with a BETD long travel kit with a longer fox coil shock. Nice but no good for me as it raises the bike an inch or so, and with me being vertically challenged I need to get it back to standard. If you get the risse and its too short then maybe we can swap ;)

Jaime,

The one I found has a Risse Air shock, not coil. So I guess that part alone is worth a good 1/3 of the bikes asking $150 by itself.

Thanks for all the info. I too could not find a black FSR in the vintage catalogs. Now that I recall it is a Sport model. I am going to go and look at it again in a bit. If I get it, I'll keep the frame and upgrade most of the components with XT and XTR, which is what I always do anyway.

Thanks.

at that price don't even think about it, buy it!

I am pretty sure sidekick's mate is selling one frame only, you'll find it in the watch section for a figure several times over that! I have a 1995 model the same as jamie's, but resprayed blue with a can :shock: , and a 1995 S-Works too, in fact the one that Mike sold mentioned above (scant)

FSR

Hi Guys
I checked the watch thread with the sport in Singapore but its gone, you click on the link and it just takes you to a classified page like craigslist. It certainly looked NOS but was outragously expensive for a sport. I remember the shock wasnt an Apls 4 so probably was a Risse.
Jamie

Back