Early Dawes 'The Edge Team'. Anyone got any pics or info ???

Prometheus

Senior Retro Guru
EDIT: 01/03

OK I am pretty certain now that the frame is from a Dawes 'The Edge Team' from around 93-94 (possibly earlier) so now i'm definately after some pics anything at all that might help. I would like to get Gil_M to possibly make up some copies of the original decals but I have no idea what they should look like or what the paint job was like :? . Surely there must be an old review languishing in a mag somewhere with a pic or two. I reaslise that it 's a pain to dig out the old mags but think you might see something you haven't looked at for years and become inspired ;) :D

Here's hoping. .......

EDIT:

It seems that the likely Dawes model for the my shed rescued frame (see below for pics) is an early 'Edge' . The problem is that I can't find any info whatsoever. So my appeal is for any information whatsoever. Years of manufacture, specs etc. What would be fantastic is if there were ever any articles or reviews in early mags. I no it's a long shot but well i'm an optimistic sort :D

Dave.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all.

I bought this bike from a mate about 10 years ago for the parts as it had a complete XTR M900 groupset. he told me at the time that it was a top of the range bike. I've now dug it out from the back of the shed as perhaps it's better than I had given it credit for. I assume that the XTR group was original so was obviously a high spec.

I didn't rate it at the time because it was a dawes, but is it a handbuilt? Any clues would be great :D .

It was fitted with Rockshox Mag 20 forks, which a mate has at the moment but I will try to get back if I can.

Here's the picfest:

frame.jpg

stearer.jpg

ttstays.jpg

ttback.jpg

bbtube3.jpg

rearstay.jpg

bbtube2.jpg

BBtube.jpg

ttstays.jpg

toptubeguides.jpg

fmechguide.jpg

rearbrake.jpg

I think that the paint inside the BB tube must be original colour which looks like a metallic aqua green
colour.jpg

Well guru's any idea's . Is it worth saving?

Cheers.
Dave.

A few frame measurements:

Centre of BB to the centre of top tube 18" - or 20" to the very top of the seat tube.

top tube length 21"

stearer - length 6 1/4" and 1 1/8th ID

seat tube ID 26.4mm

there is a simple hand punched number on the BBtube '4495'

Might help :D
Dave.

Well it's obviously a Dawes, steel frame & looks fillet brazed so not low end.
Only one I can remember BITD was the Edge.
Stick it on some scales:
sub 6 lb & it's a decent quality tubeset.
sub 5 lb & it's a top quality double butted tubeset.
For reference my 1991 19" Kona is 5.5 lb as only 3 main tubes are butted.

Sure there'll be someone more knowledgeable reply soon.

Hi. thanks for the info. :D

I bought home the digi postal scales from work today to have a little weigh in. The dawes frame weighs 2.38 kg (5.25 pounds) with the headset cups still in but I don't imagine they account for too much. So that's not too bad right?

It must be mid to late 90's era or possibly earlier? Does anyone know any higher end Dawes models from this period or even earlier. that I could try to look up? I am turning up very little at the moment. :(

Thanks in advance.
Dave.

Are there no gurus out there with piles of magazines in every corner of the house who could just throw some possible model names in to the mix ??? perhaps I should take it down the dump then ;)

but seriously ... my next idea is to strip the frame back gently. Hopefully the guy who had it before me and did that awful paint job was so lazy that he didn't bother to prep the frame before he painted it, so i'm hoping there might be some clues if i'm carefull . Can't see any evidence of any decals under the paint but might be something else that helps. :?

The Search continues....... surely someone can help ???

Thanks.
Dave.

Odds are if it wasn't prep well the graphics were under laquer. (They did some good quality finished back then) You should be able to to what it was.

Definitely resprayed. Regardless of what you do with it...it's 17 yrs old or older and steel so get some "frame saver" sprayed into the vent holes throughout the frame if you want to continue riding it for years. There's obviously some exterior rust no idea about the insides...but better to be safe.

Compare with the pic below. I think an Edge is about right. The double eyelets on the rear dropouts suggest quite early. The red is powdercoat but I'm sure I can make out Dawes at the top of the seat stay. The Edge was always top of the range. I remember back in 87/88 it was made from 531 throughout as opposed to the forkblades on my Wildcat.

Attachments

• Unknown#3.jpg
    Unknown#3.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 4,646
  • Unkown#1.jpg
    Unkown#1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 4,645
Iwasgoodonce":3jnw9ukq said:
Compare with the pic below. I think an Edge is about right. The double eyelets on the rear dropouts suggest quite early. The red is powdercoat but I'm sure I can make out Dawes at the top of the seat stay. The Edge was always top of the range. I remember back in 87/88 it was made from 531 throughout as opposed to the forkblades on my Wildcat.

That pic looks very similar if not identical from what I can see. Just to clarify is that a picture of an 'Edge' frame or is it your wildcat that you mentioned?

I was rather hoping that there would be some other models. Purely because I have googled everything I can think of to try to find some info and turned up nothing :( .

I think i'll change the title of this thread to appeal for info.

Many thanks for the replies though folks. Much appreciated. :D :D :D .

It would be great to get an original pic or magazine article so that I can try to restore it. Fortunately I still have most of the XTR M900 groupset that came with the bike, just missing the chainset, headset and wheels.

Thanks again.
Dave.

Back