Mystery Manitou 4 fork for DISC brakes!

Robellion

Dirt Disciple
Hi all- Just trying to find out more about a NOS Manitou 4 fork I recently bought. It has machined disc mount on the dropout, no brake boss drillings on the stactions and the fork brace has no cable stop! and....at the top of one of the legs in the graphics, is says DISC. I have never seen one, nor can find any information on this fork- too bad it didn't come with the service manual. Anyway I can post pics soon- but just thought I would ask around if anyone knows anything about the fork. I am interested in fitting the fork with a caliper- if there is one that fits in the world.....I believe Manitou 4 was 1994-95...I am sure the standard of disc mounts has changed- and..... the mount is in FRONT of the leg instead of the rear. Anybody have anything? Thank you!

a member on the german forum fitted these on a manitou fs with sachs calipers. they are nice! afaik internaly they are identical to the standard manitou 4.

Thanks guys- I knew someone here has seen one of these before- I had the fork sent to the office, so I'll retrieve it tomorrow and get some pics going. Could you lead me to the right direction to the German member that has one too? I could sure use some detailed info on how to get the caliper on. Sachs, eh? I guess no longer made? The hole drilling spacing was pretty close together on the mount, something like 46 or 47mm- don't know if that means anything to anyone. I am well grounded in 90's stuff only, as I started Mountain Biking in 88'- built my first custom in 92', then moved on to custom building a Zaskar in 95'- then just kept riding that up until now as I am restoring/building a mint 94' Manitou FS. So I am totally clueless on Disc tech.
I know Disc brakes started turning up back in the early to mid 90's, but I just saw them as a emerging novelty/technology that was way to far from standards at the time. Wished I payed attention now! Thanks again guys for any help- Bikes In Oregon, do you have the need for any AC crowns for Manitou 2/3/4? I am sitting on 8 NOS black ones with 280mm CroMo steerers.
Here is a pic of one on my Manitou FS I am building:
http://www.robellion.com/manitou.html

-Eric

ah, the hershey manitous fs. do remember the auction. :D its such a nice bike, why not keep it the way it is?
the pics i remembered about the disc manitou are gone. the member took them offline. but i found another thread with some pics:
http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=224499
its a prostop disc caliper mounted on a manitou 4 disc. they mention in that thread that sachs calipers were mounted in most cases and that they are not compatible. some sachs calipers sold on ebay recently btw.

Hi again- Inigo Montoya, thanks for the info! You are right about the Manitou bike, it could just be left alone- but I felt it needed some changes here and there- I personally don't like Suntour stuff too much, so I replaced those things with Shimano thumb shifters, Proshift rear derail. and other goodies.
The Bottom Bracket was so bottom of the line and HEAVY! so ordered a Phil Wood Ti for it.....better now... Anyway, about the forks- it seems that the drop out mounting area for the caliper is two pieces. You mount the caliper on the small part first, then mount that to the fork afterwards- very nice. The mounting holes are 45 mm center to center and I know it is going to be a challange to find the right parts to make it work since those standards are no longer produced- I found this auction though, what do you think?:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0359559790

The seller says the mounting is 45 mm and it looks like it will work for a forward mount - I don't mind giving it a try. Maybe Hayes has an adapter that will somehow work for more modern calipers? it will be fun to take this journey! The pics of the German members disc fork showed a different mount- in the rear! All of these forks must have been prototypes or very limited early run forks before the Mach 5 came out? who knows... but very cool- Enjoy the photos.
Eric

Attachments

• man4disc1.jpg
    man4disc1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 729
  • man4disc2.jpg
    man4disc2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 729
  • man4disc3.jpg
    man4disc3.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 729
  • man4disc4.jpg
    man4disc4.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 729
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back