It is better to have loved and lost...

Tallpaul

Gold Trader
...than to never have loved at all.

Having bought and sold nearly a dozen bikes in the last three years, and now that space confines the number I can own, I can reflect on my brief tenure of some of these fine tools of mechanical advantage.

I once bought a DBR Axis TT from eBay.com for something silly like $250 + $50 shipping (back when the pound was strong), it was only an 18" so I never really meant to keep it and the fact it owed me nothing made it easy to part with.

Since then I have seen it change hands on this site perhaps two or three times.

It gave me the taste for Titanium and it was replaced with a Hei Hei. A great bike and another I got for a good price; sadly that too was lost in the cull that was the downsizing of my collection from six to three (one modern, one retro, one commuter).

Whilst tidying up my Photobucket, I happened across an image of the DBR, taken on a summers day and it evoked strong memories of what a good bike it was. It wasn't really too small, it had a very long top-tube, and aesthetically I think I got something very 'right' with that build.

DSC00874.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
That's a superb looking bike and build. It's strange, it's as though the frame was made for the yellow Flite and vice versa. Everything looks right.

Another strange thing is that it's worth less than a Hei Hei, even though they were made in the same factory, to the same high standards and presumably from the same materials.

Anthony":1njpgsrz said:
Another strange thing is that it's worth less than a Hei Hei, even though they were made in the same factory, to the same high standards and presumably from the same materials.

...and the same welder

Maybe those marketeers are on to something with brand value ;)

dbr axis tt

The axis tt is a great bike, feels really light and solid. I've changed the build slightly since that last pic....the bars have gone! and I've changed the post and saddle. And now it looks so much better. Like tallpaul mentioned it has a long top-tube and just rides great. Not going to be sold again. Cut the steerer down too on the pace forks.

Yes it's much better to have loved and lost that not at all. Not just bikes :D

tintin40":mn3htzjn said:
Surely the word 'discarded' is more appropriate than 'lost' in your case Tony?

Anthony":3mun43i7 said:
tintin40":3mun43i7 said:
Surely the word 'discarded' is more appropriate than 'lost' in your case Tony?

Discarded :shock: :roll:

Latest posts

Back