Shogun resto. Should I bother?

Arran

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
A while ago I came into posession of a '91(?) Shogun prairie Breaker Team Issue, 18" Tange Prestige frame in green/black camo with an M732 group (incl. thumbies) and strangely it has M734 cantis. It's got Mavic CD's with 2X lacing, T-Bone stem and Tioga bars, XT pillar, etc.

My question to you all is:

Is it worth restoring or should I just keep the parts until I find a frame i'm more passionate about to put them on?

At the end of the day it's up to you....

Shogun isn't in the big league but it's an interesting brand none the less. Would like to see pics. Did it have a u-brake?

Arran,

It is a Tange Prestige frame. Though Shogan is not the nicest of the Japanese, it probably still very decent made. It has the right bits from Shimano and Tioga. I don't know what you are planning to do with it, but I can think of 1 or 2 :roll: bikes that are lesser performers for all day use.

- Melvin

don't restore it ride it
you remember the ad's "your going to ride down that"
"yes on my shogun prairie/trail braker " yatta,yatta.
but it is retro, ride it,enjoy it , if you don't then break it and keep the usefull stuff.
mike

The bike really doesn need restoring before it'd be rideable. It needs a new headset and about 20 spokes! The chain is worn out and it needs new brake pads etc...

So even getting it rideabel would be considered a bit of a restoration.

I think i'll go through the process and see how it rides. Thanks for the comments.

Its a nice bike.

The people who only ride 'boutique brands' now would have been well happy to ride an XT equipped Tange Prestige bike 15 yrs ago. Most people would be just as happy to ride one now.

Build it, ride it, enjoy it!

Keep the bits and sell the frame to me if you want something you are more passionate about!
My first MTB was a blue trail braker II, sadly stolen from outside the swimming pool :cry:
I'd have it for old times sake and rebuild it eventually.

Let me know.

Stick legs, I've gota totally original blue trail-breaker in my garage!!
Even got the same tyres on.

Back