Fat Chance Yo Eddy Paint Jobs

cudfather

Devout Dirtbag
Back in the mid 90's when I used to race cross country in the "Youth" class, one of the spoilt rich lads used to ride a Yo Eddy which I think was purple/red one side and green the other. I'm pretty sure I had an MBUK which featured a picture of one too. I loved that kid's bike, it was a shame it had such a little tosser riding it. I'll never forget him asking me why I was racing my "hack bike", when I was riding my pride and joy Marin Muirwoods. I won the series that year by the way, and he never even came close to catching me on his tricked out wonder bike.

I might have the colours completely wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was a Yo.

Does anyone know the paint job I'm talking about or have I got it wrong?

the amusing part is that despite after all this time you still want to recreate that "little tossers" bike ;) :LOL:

check the multi page fat chance thread I started on mtbr.com VRC to see if the paint scheme is on there, or look on www.fatcogs.com

cudfather said:
I'll never forget him asking me why I was racing my "hack bike", when I was riding my pride and joy Marin Muirwoods. quote]

I love that story! In the mid 90's I used to drool over a Muirwoods in my local shop and wish I could afford to trade up my Apollo for it!!

perry":1t36zziv said:
no the real amusing thing is the wonder bike didnt make a wonder rider :LOL:

good story

Has it ever :shock: Some guys just hope that spending the cash will buy them talent :LOL: Its good for the industry though and the second hand market :D

I wonder if the "liddle tosser" is recreating a Marin Muirwoods in your memory? ;) you didnt respect the kid, he wasnt fast... but you still want his bike :LOL:

Yep, I spent everything I had on that 94' Muirwoods. In fact, to get it, I combined all my savings with my Christmas and birthday money from all of my family to get it. It cost £419. Unfortunately, because I put all the money I had into it, I had to use it for my paper round to afford to run it. I used it for everything, fun, training and racing and it's so beaten up now I wouldn't know where to start on a resto project. It was also too big for me as I bought a 17.5 to grow into, but I never did. So to this day, it's still too big for me. :roll:

I raced and beat loads of rich little tossers who were riding bikes I could only have dreamed of owning. It always made me wonder how fast I could have been if I had their bikes. The fact that they were mounted by little spoilt kids never stopped me from wanting one though.

My racing days came to an end when I just couldn't afford to keep up with the kids on those 'better' bikes. Because I used it for everything I completely wore it out, and things like broken chains, punctures on bald tyres started stopping me from finishing races, and me from getting sponsored. I'm still sad that I never managed to get a sponsor. Looking back I was definitely fast enough to have represented a company, but I suppose it was never meant to be. :(

There was another bloke who springs to mind was one who was riding a carbon Trek (I think it was an 8900) who called me a f*cking skank in a race because he couldn't get past me. We were racing side by side and I kicked him into a fence. That was the only fight I ever had on a bike.

Of all the bikes I raced against though, that one sticks out. To be honest, he wasn't really a tosser, he was just spoilt and I used to chat to him at races about his bike. He had everything on it, XTR, Ringle hubs, seat post and stem and Pace forks. I'm not bothered about owning one, I'd just like to see a photo of one for a bit of nostalgia.

its the essence of VRC/retro/ vintage builds worldwide. wanting to build a bike that you couldnt get back in the day :)

Back