Retro-ish Suspension Fork Choice?

Hermit

Retro Guru
What would have been the fork of choice in the following years?

1994/95 and 1996 ?

The 94/95 is for a future possible project and the 1996 is for my Ground Control.

The Q21R's on the GC are ok at the mo, but one day those elastomers are going to go, so what would be an ideal replacement that I can get now for the future - I'd rather try to keep it from the same era and would need a brace suitable for cantis, I like my Tri-Aligns :) so I guess oil and air/springs would be a better option, so what from that era is there? Mag 21's? I think Judy's came out about then but what were they, spring oil, spring elastomer, air oil, finding info seems a bit difficult - any pointers? See a lot of stuff on ebay but it's mostly modern.

Or, can you get something that screws into the hole that you see on the brace on later forks? Not ideal but is this possible?

Oh, and, if you have something for sale suitable please let me know? :D

Pace forks were the nuts back in the day.
Best news is Pace still refirb and charge a Paltry £45 for a works service on RC35's. Don't see many others doing that. My RC36's were works serviced and they feel awesome, like a new fork!

I have both Marzocchi XC700 and DH3 forks. I think -but I am not sure- most is still available.

I have also 3 Rond WP forks. Gerard Rond quit servicing the old forks last year, but honestly they never need service.

Imo both the Marzocchi and Rond WP are nicely made forks that really set themselves apart from Judys.

Btw Judys: For Judys Englund TotalAir cartridges are available. Good stuff. I have a pair in my Yo's Judy.

Everything from Marzocchi is available here in Italy. A friend of mine sent his XC 600 to the factory, and got it back as new. He spent 50 Euros fo a complete overhaul. I don't know if in England it is so easy though...

I would go with a Pace, elastomers only

Mmmm, well I've been looking out on ebay .... thing is I need a brace with the old cable stop for running cantis, not much about and when I do find something and ask some questions, ie: is it elastomer, are the seals ok, any play or leaks, etc, they either don't know or I get no reply at all?!

There was a pair of DH3's on there but they've suddenly been removed before end of auction :evil: ggrrrrr!

I don't think bikes are jingoistic either :LOL:

Think RST's are a bit too 'modern' (no cable stop?)

:D

Back