Which front mech?

Craig Nicholson

Devout Dirtbag
Been looking for a front mech to go on th lavadome.

Apart from the exage original, what is available?

I have gone new skool retro look on the setup

Sram Grift shifters, Shimano rear mech.

Shimano groupset, XLite chicken stix.....

Gonna get some nice shimano V Brakes...

So nothing too modern....

?

Not sure what you are after but any front mech should be fine.
Just the band size is needed and if the bike is old you'll probably need a 'conventional' type which to me is the normal type and will look similar to what you probably have.

Only other thing is top pull/bottom pull

If the cable comes form under the bottom bracket you'll need bottom pull.
If it comes from above, from the seat post end, it'll be top pull.
(in general)

It's bottom pull and I think 28.6 band - just wondered what else was reasonably period but still decent quality.

Did they do Deore LX for example in them days?

It's a 91 but not looking to be exact just close. Anything 90-95 would be fine. Just not too modern really. Trying to keep a modocom of a retro feel but finding it hard at the minute....

Thanks for the link...

Deore LX was definately around then, just try to match the model number with any you buy, it's written on the back of most.

Now you've given a date and that you want to keep it period ( I thought new skool retro look meant you wanted to put modern parts that looked like the period ones, hence I was a bit confused what you really wanted :))

'91 would net you LX[M550] /DX [M650]/XT [M735] and of course there where the low end Exage xxxLX you mentioned. A year later would add XTR [M900] (92 groupset)to the list a few years later and DX would be dropped out of the list.

Two years later (93 groupset) brought in the revamped LX and the next year (94 groupset) DX was dropped when XT was revamped.

I have a link somewhere so you can see it in a better way than the mombat one as that only deals with the two top tier groupset.

Back