89 Cannondale upgrade

suparich

Dirt Disciple
Hi.

Pleases advise.

I stupidly striped the thread on both crank arms of my Shimano Deore XT drive chain whilst attempting to replace the bearings in the bottom bracket of my 1989 Cannondale Mountain bike. SM900 or 1000 I think, black.

So I need to replace.

Being an old weight watcher I would like to fit something light but most modern shimano looks a bit too high tech for my bike.

Someone recomended a Deore Hollowtech chain set, which looks ok.

Question...

Will this work with my seven speed cassette?

And will it fit on a 89 Cannondale frame ?

thanks
r

If the chainrings are still good, try asking here for some M730 cranks, then it will all go back together with the minimum amount of fuss

which threads did you strip exactly?
you need a different bottom bracket for hollowtech cranks. and they would look horrible on a 1989 cdale...
cranks for tapered bottom brackets are still around. just have a look at ebay.

btw. there are quite a lot of old shimano deore cranks (MT-60) around. they are sold quite cheap and look very similar to the M730. they need the same bb spindle length too.

suparich":2s6g7k7c said:
Will a Shimano Nexave T303 fit If I can't find M730 ot MT60 ?

If your really stuck, I've got a spare set of Mountain LX that will do. Just need a strip & polish, the cranks that is, not me.

You can get both crank threads retapped oversize, and special oversize one key extractors fitted.

Ison Distribution used to sell the kit. You should find it in one of the better shops. Maybe try Nina @ bike workshop if she is still around?

Andy

Back