Cracked Drive Side Chainstay RTS

boxxer

MacRetro Rider
Hi all

Wondering if you can help

I picked up an RTS at the weekend - 18" 7000 Alu model, no frame numbers but has 8 stamped on the linkage.... think it's a 96 as the stickers look the same as one Pickle has in his gallery.

However the chainstay is cracked - looks like the pivot bolt at the interface with the drop out has been overtightened at some point. Only the front 'prong' is cracked (i.e facing out to the world) The backside is still strong.

I've tried flexing it and it made no massive difference - I've tried to show it in the photo below

Cant get the photo to work ATM

Now I'm wondering if I can get it welded locally as it's a 7000 series which shouldn't need heat treated or if I should carry on the hunt for a non cracked replacement.

Help is appreciated[/img]

i have encountered a few cracked RTS's for '96, always the polished ones, so it seems like the bare metal doesnt hold up, whereas my 96 one, that is sprayed, is fine, and alos the 97 one i had was fine

7005, your lucky day. 7005 takes a long time to anneal, so you can take it to your local welder and if competent, can repair easily. Just ask for 5000 series filler and not to overheat.

If you remove the part from the bike and clean, the repair should fall under the minimum charge which is usually 1/2 hour.

Let the part sit for a couple days before riding to dissipate some built up stresses, and you are good to go.

RTS rear chain stay

I bought a few of these as spares and could probably let one go, as I think I have one that has a cracked top half. Let me know.

Ian

Back