Riserbars - why?

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Have used them, feel fine but obviously very unattractive with bar ends.

So, why use riser bars when you can achieve the same position via other ends?

If you want a riding position you can otherwise only achieve with a steep-rise stem or loads and loads of spacers - then the riser bar is a better-looking alternative.

I swear by them on my kids bikes, or bikes I make a available to visitors too - as the reach adjustment options are better.

Wouldn't use them on a pure-XC bike though as I'd miss the bar-ends.

Initially put to use on DH bikes to lift the front end and make it easier to keep your head up while charging - remember early DH bikes were smaller XC bike geometry with low saddles.

I wouldn't use one on an XC bike as it'd knacker my back but I'd never run anything lower than 2" on my DH bike

comfort & a better riding position for DH sections

with flat bars it's head down arse in the air, not as much so with risers. Yes you could have a larger stack of spacers under your stem or a higher rise stem, but both of those options look fugly

Carbon riser bars absorbe small vibrations very well, helping to keep my forearms from going numb on fast downhills.

In a word, fashion. In a few more words, anything that MBR says is absolutely essential and makes all the difference between a good bike and a bad bike must be bad. They say you can't get your hands in the right position with a flat bar, which makes no sense to me.

The thing that most surprises me is that the riser bar fashion has survived the move to long-travel forks. It's one thing to say you want the front end higher, but with 130mm forks it's high anyway. But some people who find their bars too high would rather flip the stem than fit a flat bar.

All of the above, but also I can make very fine adjustments to the seating position / cockpit by rotating the bars in the stem.

And more risers seem to have the upsweep/backsweep ergonomics in a way that I like. Notable exceptions are the early Syncros risers, they look ace, but handposition for me is compromised, IMHO by lack of backsweep.

Enjoy!!

Anthony":2jsu44my said:
In a word, fashion. In a few more words, anything that MBR says is absolutely essential and makes all the difference between a good bike and a bad bike must be bad. They say you can't get your hands in the right position with a flat bar, which makes no sense to me.

The thing that most surprises me is that the riser bar fashion has survived the move to long-travel forks. It's one thing to say you want the front end higher, but with 130mm forks it's high anyway. But some people who find their bars too high would rather flip the stem than fit a flat bar.

Sorry but I can't agree it's just fashion. It makes a massive difference to me with the back pain and I haven't found a stem and flat bar combo to match my risers.

They sweep back and up for a perfect hand position and with a decent 100mm stem I get a good position for my back. Not much rise on the stem either.

It looks nice and is totally functional.

Latest posts

Back