k2 proflex 4000...

Bukk

Retro Newbie
I have a K2 proflex 4000 with noleen smartshock forks (girvin), this is all original spec as i have hardly ridden it over the last ten years or so. I have had the bike since new so still have all instructions etc and am considering starting mountain biking again and wish to sell this bike and purchase a hardtail. Is there any retro demand for this bike. Would like an opinion , it would be of great help.

I believe the forks are the most valuable part of the bike. I am sure they are carbon if you have the smartshockand will still fit earlier Proflexes.

The frame would have the square downtube, as it a K2/Proflex, and a carbon swingarm.

Sounds like it has very little wear on the bike. Twas me, I would put on a modern fork 80 to 120mm adjustable travel, with lockout. Sell the carbon crosslink.

Replace the Noleen rear shock with modern Platform shock, A Fox DHX or Manitou Swinger, and sell the Noleen. Not that I am against Noleen, the new shocks are a revelation, and you will drop some weight too.

With new boingers the bike will ride as well as more modern incarnations.

Yes the frame is indeed the square aluminium downtube and I do have a carbon fibre swing arm. Your reply is interesting. The reason I am considering a hardtail Is because I am almost scared of damaging it, not that I ride it in any other way than it was designed, just that it has always felt maybe too light and skitish. I had a marin hardtail originally and rode it for years , riding at places like coed de brenin way back 15 years ago with no suspension atall. Maybe this is the problem.
I moved 11 years ago after only buying the k2 shortly before. Where I live now is too flat and I drifted away from mountain biking gradually with also a young family snatching all of my free time and so have never experimented properly with the bike. I weigh around 200 pounds and thats not all lager and wonder wether the machine was designed for a lighter rider....i'm probably wrong. Thanks for your advice ,it is one definitly worth considering.

'98 K2 Proflex 4000 was my only foray into full suspension.
Forks had 'smart' shock but were definitely alloy - the 5000 were carbon.
Great bike let down by poor forks which were like an un-damped pogo on rough descents & wet/muddy UK conditions rendered the 'smart' module useless within a few miles.
Sell the forks to a lightweight XC whippet & as Shovelon says stick some modern 100mm forks on it for a cracking ride :cool:

The carbon swingarms have had a reputation for being flexy side to side. I experienced that slightly on my Oz, mostly due to the overdamped Noleen shock, which threw the swingarm sideways on compression. Noleen damped the compression circuit heavy to help offset bobbing. Once I mounted the swinger, I could set the platform(which could induce sideways flex), and the more fluid compression circuit negated/absorbed the sideways flex.

I have also done the famed "Simon Potter sealed bearing conversion". This also makes the verticle travel smoother, isolating/capturing side to side flex tendency. I actually had to increase the platform damping on the swinger to offset it blowing thru the 6 inches of travel I achieved with the swinger. I like my travel very lightly damped, but not that much.

Back