20 yr old Saracen Kiliflyer needs new bottom bracket?

JegSpur

Dirt Disciple
My 20yr old Kilifler has some serious wobble on the cranks andI guess I need to get a sealed bottom bracket in there...

Am I right? - and what replaces the Deore kit in there? It has a Deore Biopace Chainset if that makes a difference.

Without measuring mine i would say its a 68 x 127.5 but if your not using it too mucn then i would just strip it down and regrease.

Cheers Toad

don't be putting a sealed unit in there, that would be plain wrong! Just service the existing one with new bearings and grease and itll be right as rain and still all period correct. Definately a cheaper and easier idea too as it'll take an age to find the right length and will certainly cost more than the couple of quid for the new loose bearings and grease!

Could well be another one of the fillet brazed purple ones. I tell you, you don't see one for decades then three turn up at the same time.

Thanks for all the replies...

I read through them earlier and decided I needed to have a look at the state of the inside of the bottom bracket - but can't get the first crank off! It must be rusted solid I think - but now it I've ruined the entire inside thread of the crank! The tool was all the way in - but stripped the thread instead of removing the crank - the tool was fine - so the thread inside must have been softer...

Can anyone advise what I do next - I'm starting to think I'm going to have to book it in for work somewhere (though god knows where?) -

It is a fillet brazed 'purple' as you (Iwasgoodonce) refer to it I believe - I did post pics http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48200 - and I think the conclusion was that it's actually pink!

Anyway - looking forward to some help if it's out there....

You could try one of these?

PUG002C.jpg

Back