Pay pal?

Lid

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I just sent some ££ to a fellow Retro Biker in Europe.
He says that there was a %6 fee taken off the amount, is this the normal cost of paypal?

dont know exactly which percentage but I always take it into account when selling something .

Yup, Paypal is not free, they do charge a percentage.
If it is buying off ebay the seller should have taken this into account,
if you are sending money to a fellow retrobiker who is helping you out - you should add a percentage to cover these costs .
Thats why Jez hates paypal....................they take a share out of all your sales when you accept paypal ;) .

& the reason I hate paypal is that it's an insecure shower of *****, manned by some of the least helpful people in existance. Ahem.

Found out that it is the difference between a "Premier" %6 and a "Personal" %3 account. That's a pritty big difference on larger sums.

Yeah Paypal stinks although I have had to make claims in the past and they do pay up.

They make a darn fortune those buggers.

Wish there was another way...

jez-2-many-bikes":2g5h7oyt said:
Yeah Paypal stinks although I have had to make claims in the past and they do pay up.

They make a darn fortune those buggers.

Wish there was another way...

There is: bank transfer. Doesn't cost anything (in the UK; £10 in Europe which does suck I'll admit!) , & you have their bank details, so you can get hold of them if really necessary. No, you don't have the 'easy' protection of paypal, but for 90% of the time it's better.

Oh, & there's the likes of nochex too - don't even know if they're still around but they were better!

jez-2-many-bikes":2t2bvfcj said:
Dont you need special account code numbers from them to do a bank transfer overseas?

Yeah, you need their IBAN & SWIFT (IIRC!) codes, but the person you're sending the money to should know em... My bank charges £10 for a european transfer which is blimmin annoying, but paypal's nowhere near as widely used on the continent, so half the time you couldn't use it even if you wanted to. Roll on the day when I can make a European transfer as easily as a UK one (30 secs online & free for everyone involved!).

Back