Headset problem

chrisv40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Just got a cheap headset off Ebay which is surprisingly nice and smooth, but the bearing race that goes on the forks is a sloppy fit, any ideas about shimming or bonding or am i better going to the bike shop and trying a different race? Thanks for any help. :x

I'd get another headset with the correct crown race diameter. Your forks prob' have a 26.4mm race seat whereas the race from your new headset is prob 27.0mm.

Hang onto the headset for a future build or sell it on.

Saying that, I did once Araldite a race in place on an old Muddy Fox Courier and had no problems :)

Which forks is it? I only ask as my Pace rigid carbons on the Bonty are undersized. :evil: I've had 2 headsets in, the current one is a King, both have had to be shimmed. Given it took them months and two attempts to get me the correct fork, i just shimmed it with a coke can. It's been fine :roll:

depending on how loose it is you could get away with using some ptfe pulmbers tape or electrical insulation tape. i've used these in the past with no problems. just keep an eye on it.

LBS no use, they said that size is no longer available so i have just shimmed them with a coke can and they seem to be perfect. :LOL:

Did you use Coca cola or Pepsi ? .... as coca cola use 6061 and Pepsi use 7005 fella.. could be not only weight issues, but also structural integrity issues involved with using the wrong one... and as far as period correctness , thats a whole new topic :LOL: :LOL:

Neither, i used Tescos own brand, after weighing all of them i found this to be lightest ;) ;)

Back