Lava Dome newbie, RetroBike Newbie, MTB newbie, forum newb..

Spray or Keep Original???

• Spray

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep Original

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shreddie

Dirt Disciple
...the list goes on!

So im new to all this and have just acquired a Kona Lava Dome which at the moment i believe is an early 90's (i'll find out it's year as soon as) and my question is should i respray or keep original??

Apoplogies if this is a tired topic but i can't seem to find a definitive answer. I've seen some amazing renovations on here and i used to dabble a little stripping and rebuilding bikes when i was a kid but obviously things have progressed a lot since then.

I hear my Lava Dome maybe worth something to a collector kept original but to be honest what i'd really like to do is strip it down, respray, new decals, generally make new where possible and use it and enjoy it, i've only heard great things so far about the legendary Kona.

It currently needs a new rear hub, some general TLC and as of yet i haven't tested the gears or brakes. I went on an amazing 20 mile ride yesterday on a borrowed MTB with a mate over the South Downs and loved it, apart from the usual aches and pains of riding for 2 1/2 hours having not been on a bike for 10 years.

The only thing that came up for me is that i really need front suspension forks as i've buggered my wrists through numerous broken bones in my arms and wrists falling off skateboards and motorbikes! Obviously i'll keep the original forks and any suggestions of half decent forks would also be gratefully received, the age old 'the cheaper the better' but i appreciate quality is key and will pay what's needed.

So, there's a couple of questions,

Thanks in advance to anyone that has any thoughts on this and looking forward to using the forum and chatting with some of you,

Shreddie

thanks bryan for the invite, im right up for that if it's ready in time.

As for the paint job it's not yellow splattered, I'll go and take some pics now and post them on here, brb....

Pictures...

If the colours haven't translated too well the bike is blue & grey....

Attachments

• kona1.jpg
    kona1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,554
  • fork1.jpg
    fork1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,554
  • fork2.jpg
    fork2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,554
  • frame1.jpg
    frame1.jpg