Specialized 'Squiggle' Rear Brake Cable Guide

Err

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My rockhopper has a funny cable guide for the rear brake. It is a tube of metal that leads the cable round the seat tube. Shown below in this pic from another thread.

[imghttp://img84.imageshack.us/img84/4522/pa181071mediumwu8.jpg[/img]

I have tried leading the cable straight through, loads of friction. I have tried using the plastic tube from a brake noodle, again loads of friction. I am trying to run V-brakes, but there is so much friction that the brakes do not return properly once applied. Has anybody else experienced the same problem and found a good solution?

Here is my solution...

I found the brass bit by chance no idea what it is, but it is a very tight fit on cable routing and stops any movement. The other solution is to use a canti on the back!

IMG_1988.jpg

Brake Noodle

Hi ernestrome
That tube of metal is the brake 'noodle' and is only for canti brakes. When the cable exits the noodle it is lined up in the centre ready for a straddle cable. If you use it for V brakes the friction is due to the cable having to bend at strange angle to attach from the side.
To use a V brake I would attach a cable guide at the rear of the top tube just near the seat tube and I would have it so the cable is just below the start of the noodle. Just like a standard V brake cable stop. This will allow the cable to curve round naturally to the V brake.
Some people cut the noodle, but I wouldnt as once its done its a major pain in the arse trying to set up canti brakes again.
I hope this makes sense, if not I can take a couple of pics for you. Basically just bypass the noodle for V brakes.
Put a pic up.
Cheers
Jamie

Thanks, I will be able to find a cable stop for sure and maybe a piece like CTK has at the bike collective i go to, I'm sure one or t'other will be a suitable solution.

Thanks to you both.

Back