Ti on Ti

SNA

Dirt Disciple
Guys what is the general consensus on using a Ti post in a Ti frame? I have heard horror stories of bonding, seizing etc.

Not sure if these are well founded or not?

Regards ~ Simon

Ti frames usually come with a sleeve (alloy) bonded in the tube, so if this is the case with yours, there won´t be any problem.

'bi-metalic' joining occurs betwixt two metals - eg: alu & steel

I've not heard of any problems with Ti-Ti.

Kona Paul":3oy71z91 said:
Ti frames usually come with a sleeve (alloy) bonded in the tube, so if this is the case with yours, there won´t be any problem.

Merlin Mtn 1993. Not sure if it has. Just have a planet x old post in there at the moment +shudder+

It certainly happens with ti bolts in ti threads - the molecular surface of ti is very 'spiky' which is why titanium is dull in its natural state, not shiny like steel or ally. These spikes bind the bolt and thread together, so I'd imagine the same would happen with seatpost in a frame. I'd imagine a healthy dose of copper grease ould sort it out though.

You should be able to see a thin lip around the top of the tube of a different colour...aluminum colour. If you remove the post, you should definitely be able to see if there is a sleeve in there.

Yup, keep it cleaned and greased regularly if no sleeve, but certain types of grease are made for different types of metals when used together. I do believe I read somewhere that copper is the magic metal for ti. Some types of grease have a whole buffet of metal ingredients...sort of a do it all.

Got some of the Finish line stuff that specifically states it prevents "galling" with Ti
Read that Lynskey reckon just use normal grease and you will be fine

Suppose any metal will seize if neglected, so just use some common sense and all will be fine

Back