Which Orange?

chrisv40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hi, which Orange is this? I bought it off a member and he said it was a clockwork but having looked through the catalogues in the gallery i think its a P7, doesn't bother me either way but would be nice to be sure.

Attachments

• Orange.jpg
    Orange.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,380
I'm sorry to disappoint you but I think you're wrong on both counts.

That looks very much like a Prestige from about 1994ish. ;)

Prestige

Weigh it! won't be much over 4 pounds if is a prestige, they were very light, but quite a few broke in the middle of the tubes as they were drawn out to be very thin, they were a race bike.
The silver /turquoise fade paint is typical Prestige signature, they usually had silver/purple fade paint.

Can you make out any 'shadows' of lettering where decals would once have been? My Prestige has no decals on but I can still see where they've been.Mine is black so may be easier to see.

The Prestige sticker on mine is on top-tube, non-drive side and around the location of rear-most cable route braze-ons.

Mine looks very similar to yours-no chain stay bridge, although mine has no rack mounts on drop-outs or on the sides of upper wish-bone

Think mine's roughly 92-94.

The colour scheme looks like the Prestige colours from around that date, and the canti cable hanger on the wishbone is the fancy pierced one which i think had been dropped from the clockwork by then.

This topic has come up before though and it can be really difficult to be 100% sure unless you compare frame weights. Your best bet would be to find folks who have frames that they are sure of the ID of and take it from there.

The date is easier, the first three digits of the frame number give you month and year of manufacture, so M405.... for example would mean May 1994. ;)

Konaglider":cqios46j said:
Mine looks very similar to yours-no chain stay bridge, although mine has no rack mounts on drop-outs or on the sides of upper wish-bone

I think I've seen Prestige frames both with and without rack mounts. I know for sure the one in the 1994 catalogue has them on the wishbone but, oddly, the P7 doesn't. :?

The details on the frames changed so often that it can be difficult to be certain what you have. I reckon they used whatever dropouts and wishbone tubes they had to hand at the time.

Back