Any Reason Why I Can't....

they are not as strong so will compress under braking. they are also thinner so you might not get a brake cable through

The gear outer is too narrow to be used for the thicker brake inner.

Compresion is not an issue, just tooooo narrow.

Using Brake outer as gear outer works fine.

Even betterererererer answer. (Knew they were made differently - spiral for brakes, linear for gear. Just trying to be a cheapskate and buy one sort of outer in bulk)

Two different rolls now ordered.

Ta

I have seen gear cable outer used on a brake and it works fine for a short while but the compression pressure from a brake is far greater than a gear cable could ever create and so every single time I've seen it used it explodes spectacularly - not a good idea!

What? You guys need to check your sources. :?

Shifter housing is 'compressionless' by design, an issue very important to maintaining indexing performance. Compressionless refers to the cables ability to maintain it's length while in use. There is very little burst pressure to the internal walls put on shifter housing during use, essentially, only the force of either the spring in the derailleur, or your thumb during a shift.

Brake housing is a wee larger in diameter, spiral in internal design for flexability, but the biggest difference is that the spiral liner design means it is virtually impossible for the cable to burst through the housing during use. Brake pressures against the internal wall of housing are directly proportional to your grip on the lever...grab a fistfull of brake when using shifter housing (especially if it's a little old) can result in pulling the cable through the wall of the housing...it'll bulge right out the side of the housing like a bulge on the wall of a radiator hose. The coiled nature of the brake housing means that there is a minor amount of compression end to end when braking or turning, but nothing much of an issue when compared to flex in other components in the brake system, such as the lever itself, or even the seat stays on your frame. And if your grip is strong enough to push the cable through the brake housing, then you'll probably pull the end off the cable long before you rupture the brake housing itself.

Always use compressionless housing for shifting, and coiled brake housing for brakes. There is a difference for a very good reason. :cool:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cables.html

Attachments

• housingtypes.jpg
    housingtypes.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 2,567
pete_mcc":xwzsc189 said:
I have seen gear cable outer used on a brake and it works fine for a short while but the compression pressure from a brake is far greater than a gear cable could ever create and so every single time I've seen it used it explodes spectacularly - not a good idea!

short reponse but pretty accurate...especially the "Not a good idea" part. :D

Back