Girvin ODS

novekili

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi.
I'm trying to disassemble a Girvin ODS, just to change the elastomers (top-out elastomer 4 motocross bikes work great on my other retro full susser - pics later).

Anyway, I've unscrewed the damper from the frame and from the swingarm, but it doesn't come out from the swingarm itself. :evil:
Any clue?
Thanx

novekili":agezww7j said:
(top-out elastomer 4 motocross bikes work great on my other retro full susser - pics later).

Ok, it's later enough; pics now! :D
Can you get various 'hardnesses' of elastomer for MX bikes? Need some fairly soft ones for my girvin forks, if I can't manage to get an air shock in there...

& if it's an 856, the're's an allen bolt under the shock from the wheel side. Seem to remember needing to hold the shock still to get it out... pretty obvious though so I can't imagine you'd have missed that. So not too helpful, sorry!

orange71":agezww7j said:
hey thunderchild - we're all over here too - ziggy, slim etc!

:cool:

SORRY guys!!! :oops: Even in Italy we sometimes work... Right, the model is an 856 I am trying to sort out for a friend of mine who has a bike shop and who insists on threatening to throw away all the old school bikes he gets from clients who buy new rigs (I've already saved an s-worx steel 1992 - yes I'm serious"!).

The elastomers have melted and I need to change them with a pair of bottom out bumpers for motocross bikes (they work! I've tried on my 1992 Cycletech full susser!).

I've unscrewed the bolts linking the shock to the frame, then the little bolt which screwas under the seat stays wishbone. This should be enough for the shock to come out but it isn't. I tried to hammer it gently, but no use.

Sorry but my camera is broken and I've spent all my money on my Kokopelli... I'll try to post a pic tomorrow or in two days.

If it is what I think it is, then spray a little WD40 (thin lubricant) around bottom of shaft of the ODS where it goes into the strut, then screw the screw that goes into the shaft from underneath (i.e. through the top of the strut) halfway in then tap it gently with a hammer and the shaft of the ODS (and the ODS itself) should come free. I think it's because the ODS shaft has got slightly stuck in the top of the strut. There's an aluminium widget / cone adapter that allows the shaft to sit correctly in the strut and this can get a bit sticky especially with all the crud that can get into this area!

Latest posts

Back