Ritchey and 9X2

Defiant

Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Feedback
View
Hi Guys

i am going to work on a Ritchey.
Because of this I started to look for some info in the internet, Ritchey is totally new for me.
I have never had so much interest in them but now I am starting to like it.
From the reactions here on the forum I make up that the frames are loved.

I do not know the age of the frame, I guess I will find out tomorrow when I receive the bike, if that is mentioned in the frame number that is :roll:

But my main question right now is; what is the 9X2 ?
I know that is the gearing, but what is so special about it?, and why did they use it over the normal gearing like everyone else,...
And there are to set available right now here in the for sale section, do i need to buy it when i want to bring the bike back in it's original state?
and what do i need to buy extra? does it need a special crank?

hope you can help me out,..

thanks,

Bas

the ritchey 2 * 9 are just sachs gearing rebranded as ritchey .

IMO not worth the asking price .

The 2x9 system uses an 8spd xt cassette with an additional ?33t? sprocket mounted behind the cassette. So its 9spd, but 8spd spacing. The shifters can therefore only be used with an 8spd set up if the sprocket is missing or worn out. Hope that makes sense :LOL:

Hi Bas

2x9 was really brought in as a weight saving for XC racers.
Run 29/44 up front with a 12 - 34 cassette and you get almost as many useable gears as traditional 3x9 set up.

Middleburn still offer their Duo cranks for this reason.

Shifter wise you can achieve the same effect with any gripshift by adjusting the front mech on it's stops - I run 2x9 with X.O. gripshifters, rear mech & XT front mech.

P20":2ohk8vys said:
The 2x9 system uses an 8spd xt cassette with an additional ?33t? sprocket mounted behind the cassette. So its 9spd, but 8spd spacing. The shifters can therefore only be used with an 8spd set up if the sprocket is missing or worn out. Hope that makes sense :LOL:

well I never knew the original was so 'heath robinson' :shock:

Thanks Guys,

cchris2lou":3i91612n said:

I can buy a set way cheaper then that, the WSC (titanium) version.
I might be the rebranded sachs but i want my Ritchey to be original so if i have to buy those,...then i have to,..

But ,..i do not have to buy special cranks?
I have to find myself a nice Ritchey Logic crank anyway,..but for the time beeing my old Cook Bros will have to do..

ritchey also made a proto race only 10spd, that was kinda bodge it too..

xtr is rumoured to go 10spd in 2010 & sram also doing 10spd soon

Defiant":3apem8j8 said:
Thanks Guys,

cchris2lou":3apem8j8 said:

I can buy a set way cheaper then that, the WSC (titanium) version.
I might be the rebranded sachs but i want my Ritchey to be original so if i have to buy those,...then i have to,..

But ,..i do not have to buy special cranks?
I have to find myself a nice Ritchey Logic crank anyway,..but for the time beeing my old Cook Bros will have to do..

I don't think the cranks were anything special, the kit did include two rings,(to fit any cranks) but i think they were fairly ordinary :)

frishnect always liked a low "q factor", so possibly the granny ring tabs on that ritchey crankset were removed

If you want the Factory Ritchey look, then a 2x9 set-up has it for me!

Oh! i just so happens i have a wcs set i am selling. What are the chances? ;)

Al.

Back