Boulder Damper?? and too many tyre choices.

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
Heyelp
I was planning on putting a few bits on the Boulder tonight but I'm a little stuck on the damper. Does anyone know what grade oil I need to use and how much to put in it? Cannot find anything on t'interweb about boulders never mind it's damper.

Whilst I'm at it, what tyres shall I fit? I've got all black porcs, White porcs, amberwall Ritcheys or butterscotch phsycos to chose from- all NOS. Wheels are black campag, black spokes on black ringles if that makes a difference?

Cheers
Si

You have NOS white porcs?

They're so soft I would have expected them to wear out just sitting in you're garage this long

again +1 on the amber ritcheys.
Boulder, I can speak for my defiant (and previous gazelle), with the SPRING shock, its 5w oil, filled just until the spring is covered. Somewhere I do have the info. If I can find it, I'll post it or email it over.

My starship uses the risse airshock. Risse still support the shock and can still be contacted, if you need to. I know I used 5w on the risse on my AS/LT, but the shim stack is totally different so that could be a red herring. . .

PM me if you need, I've done a few boulder shox over the years. And makesure you take off the preload before unscrewing or the shock will jack-in-a-box and have your teeth out! ;)
nick,

Hi Si,

You have a Worksperformance damper.

As Nick said before use 5wt motorcycle fork oil. To get the proper level, remove the shock and spring and drain the oil, then clean out the shock body with a paper towel. Now hold the bike so that the shock body is pointing straight up and drop the spring in the hole. Rotate the spring with your finger until it seats on the two pins in the bottom (it will not rotate further). Now fill the shock with oil until the top of the spring is just barely above the top of the oil. Do not completely cover the spring with oil so that it is totally submerged.

Install the shock and set preload to the desired setting (10 turns counterclockwise s a good place to start). Ride the bike and see how it feels. If the shock makes a noticeable "clacking" sound (like a hammer on a metal surface) then you need a bit more oil. You can add oil by pointing the shock body up and carefull removing the shock unit - hold it over the hole so that all dripping oil goes back in the shock body. Add a few drops of oil and reassemble. If you spill any oil then start over with a clean, dry shock body and put a tiny bit more oil in than you did the first time. If the shock makes no noise but starts to leak around the seal or the threads where it screws into the body then you have too much oil. You can remove a few drops by carefully removing the shock and then letting some of the dripping oil soak into a rag or paper towel.

The difference between too much oil and not enough is only a few ml and is best arrived at through trial and error. Your shock should not make any metallic noises (too little oil) and should not leak (too much oil - also will not get full travel). The squishing noise is normal and is caused by the oil travelling through the damping holes in the shock piston.

Cheers,
Andreas

Back