V Brakes on Klein Rascal.....

Copey

Retro Guru
Hi Chaps,

I went out for quite an eventful ride in -7 temps yesterday.

First off, my Canti's were NOT stopping me well enough for my semi-aggressive riding style and then my STI pod snapped off and left me to ride home in quite a large gear (I could have stopped and manually c hanged i down, but it was sooooooo cold).

So I am contemplating fitting some V's on theold girl.. is this a good idea..?
I have some V's 'in stock' and some V levers.. will V Levers work with Canti's as well..?

Cheers

Mark

to fit v's you have to drill the exit hole on the top tube ( unless you cable tie the cable to the outside of the frame). personally i wouldnt fit v's on a vintage klein..... just use cool stop brake pads and set your cantis up properly.
having said that it is possible and you can do it.. there are a number of v brake cable stop devices that i have seen, you will have to do a search to find the thread, use the retrobike google search bar.
cheers :)

possibly as above, and maybe add ceramic rims for extra grip. It does make a difference. Snow on the ground here and I've just finished round 2 of the gorrick winter series, critical racing cantis, ceramic rims, real pads, no problems for me. Lots of mud, ice up to an inch thick in places, and the recent weeks have been cole enough to fracture both my seatpack clip and pump clip. .
The kleins you have are worth keeping period correct in many eyes, but teh most important thing is to enjoy them. I have one as a dry summer ride only, and another for hurting. . ;)

What kind of canti's do you use...
Have M900 on my Attitude with original pads and that brakes superfast,
on the Rascal I have some 734 and those are braking strongly too....

You need some kind of device to fit the rear outercable on the frame wich are hard to find.
Check www.wundel.com, there was some discussion about lately...

Personally I wouldnt fit V's, my late Attitude had V's when I bught it and the holes in the frame were drilled (for a one piece outercable frome lever to brake).

Good luck.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback guys..

I spent 8 hours stripping both Kleins down yesterday and I don't think I can fit V's to them.

I am running M737 cant's on the front for the attitude, XT 747's (i think) on the back. The Rascal has 747's (low profile canti's) on the front and 987's on the back. I just ordered Kool Stops for both bikes :cool:

I am going to look out for some cool canti's and levers, maybe Grafton's or Critical..

I will be posting pic's on the other Klein threads soon, the Attitude is in amazing condition :cool:

Back