Cracking frame mate...[Pace Content]

Rich

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Urgh....

Pinky's got a crack in the frame up by the seat tube/seat post interface...

Gutted, well and truely....

Couldn't even think of abandoning her, pretty much as she's my only means of getting into work, but the history of the bike, she's gotta be worth trying to fix eh?

Made some enquiries and there's a competant welder right here in Wellington, dropped her off yesterday, fingers crossed...

You can follow the progress and see some painful pics on this link,

http://retro-pace-mtb.wetpaint.com/page/Cracking+frame+mate...

Cheers

Rich

Cheers mate,

I'm really hopeful, I've just spent out on bringing the bike back to former glory, with some trick bits and a new paint jobplanned for the future....

Rich

Good luck with it !!

Just had a look on the website.... The welder looks a crazy dude!! :LOL:

How do you plan to heat treat it after welding? If you dont you have just introduced a stress area that will probably break? Are pace frames 6000 or 7000 series aluminium I cant recall. Good luck, personally I would not trust it especially in that area.

Good point on both comments...

Not thought about the heat treating aspect, it's 7000 series aluminium, and reading various texts, Duncan MacDonald use to whip frames apart and chuck them back together again...

We'll see....

If it is fixable, pinky's going to be changing colour...*rasp* had a fella the other day try and take me out in his car...it was either me he was targeting or pinky, luckily for us both, he swerved away and drove on!! :shock:

Rich

I really kick myself as I've read loads of times not to use a shimmed seatpost in a Pace frame, just never thought it would happen to mine!!

Deffo looking into heat treating it though, just need to find one locally.

Thanks for everyones interest! :cool:

Rich

Back