Bizarre or just plain daft retro stories...

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
What are yours?

I'll kick off with the brief tale of a friend that shall remain nameless that crashed and dented his Marin Team Tit back in about '91.

Hearing he was getting the full amount back from the insurance company, and rather fancying a Fat Chance or something or other, he suddenly got the fear that he was going to get done by the afore mentioned insurance company (as it was clearly quite rideable) and chopped it up into little pieces.

I seem to remember getting two different pieces of one seat stay one day in the post (one with a brake boss on it - still got it somewhere). :LOL:

After entering an MBUK competition on one bit, the next month's MBUK said,

"answers on a postcard, stuck down envelope, or 3.25al/ 6v (or whatever it was) aerospace grade titanium to....30 monmouth st, Bath....

*EDIT*
Think Jo B got a piece too. Thinking about it, I bet we could get all the recipients together and resurrect it with some sellotape. :LOL:

:cool: :shock: :LOL: :roll: :LOL:

Whilst on the way to a Race (Polaris challange in mid Wales some time in the early 90's) I got stoped by Steve Bher (MBUK Photographer) who asked if we knew where the race was because he could not find it. (He was about 20 miles away)

Q - How did he know were were mountain bikers ?

A - Bula hat ! or as my friend later put it 'Only a you would be daft enough to walk into a pub in a small town in wales on a friday night with thet F*****G silly hat on and expect to get out live'

a small selection of daftness:

Crashed my bike, bent both wheels so diconected brakes to make sure the bike was rideable.

''yes, it rides fine, should get me home''

just as Icrashed into a tree just missing a deep lake...

----------------

Me: 'do you fancy going out with a hairy mountainbiker?'

Pretty girl in shop: 'no'

-----------------

Mate wanted a new bike - I promptly rode it fast into a brick wall, frame buckled nicely as I went over said brick wall

-----------------

Mate wanted insurance claim on new bike 'theft' - we meet, I 'steal' bike, swap it for nice Cannondale R300 - mate finds out later he's not insured.

------------------

barbacue and 2x 1 litre bottles of Spanish vodka, I decide to ride it off - asleep at side of road, some girls stopped to see if I was ok - girlfriend gets phone call at 4am - ''your boyfriends allright, he's asleep in a ditch and said he'll be home in the morning''

-------------------

I'm 'ere all week.... :D

cycling home from work one hot summers day in just a pair of shorts. Doing 25mph + swerve to avoid a car hit a hedge row and ended up with head to toe nettle stings, and a pair of bent forks.

Sunny hot Sunday morning got a late start on my ride.

Reach the top of the mountain and screamed down. Towards the bottom I see a girl, 25ish, working her way down the trail. I slow, let her know I am there, and see that she is beat red, not sweating and kind of sluggish, probably dehydrated.

I stop and ask if she is OK, and she replies "very hot". I give her some water and notice that she is wearing a black sweatshirt. So I recommend that maybe she should take it off. She does, no bra! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Feeling better, she thanks me and I finish my ride. :D

A friend with a K2/Proflex Animal back in the late 90s was fitting hydraulic brakes in place of the original Vs. To run the hose he had prised open the cable stops with a big screw driver and then set about bending them back with a hammer. Needless to say, the cable guides gave up under such abuse and a less tidy solution was sought.

One day one of the wives decided to join the weekend warriors for a ride. She had not ridden off-road in anger for a while, and struggled from the word go. Towards the end of the ride on a wide open plane a bunch up front pulled a gap that just grew bigger until the point we barely could see them on the horizon.
The nestor of the group yelled out at the top of his lungs to re-group, no response. He also had an ear splitting emergency whistle, but to no avail; still no reaction from the fast bunch.

But then the lady just uttered one word, "Charlie!" not even that loud. We could see a small figure in the disctance jerk, sit up straight and look back at us ........ well, at her I mean. The power of ....

Back