What sus forks are early P7 owners using?

D_XZ

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just wondering as I'm going to look at one this weekend. Not sure of age but I suspect it's an early one.

I believe I'm right in thinking they were suspension corrected from the start but can they take Pace RC36 evo2's or is that going to be too much for it?

I've got an early P7, think its a 94 and it has a 1 inch headseat. The F7 forks may have been slightly corrected but travel at that time was around 60-80mm tops.

I'm running a set of Pace pro class dropped to their lower travel setting and its fine. BITD I used a set ot Quadra 21Rs (80mm?) and it coped with that too.

Got a '95 vintage with '96 Judy SL's. All works fine.

If it's a 1" headset frame you're geting chances are the only forks you'll be able to find will have the correct ammount of bounce and not throw your head angle all out of cock.

Jim

RC35s on my '95.
However, when I acquired it it was graced with various unsightly modern bits including these cheap & cheerful suntour nrx 6000 jobbies. Much to my surprise I thought they gave a reasonable ride, and while I wouldn't recommend them I think they remain one of the few 1" steerer options.

P7_01.JPG

Hmm...that head tube angle looks a bit much......although I think my Pace forks are probably shorter than those I also think they are longer than RC35's.

Shame, the p7 looks very original and if it's in good condition it's going to be tempting (especially if the frame is as anywhere near as clean as yours!) but I really want something I can stick my sus forks and vbrakes on for riding - keeping the original kit safely stored of course!

I can get a 1" steerer for my RC36's but I'm definitely worried about the geometry now. The bike I'm going to look at appears older than yours by the look of the graphics (plain orange writing) but if Birdman is running proclass' then maybe i can get away with it

I'm going to try measuring my forks, allow for sag and compare them to the original rigids on saturday.

The Proclass forks Birdman is running are 60mm at their short setting, the Evo 2's you're considering using I think are 80mm (but I could be wrong.

The original Proclass Evos are 440mm crown to dropout when set to 60mm if that's any help. ;)

Thanks thats very useful - I'll measure mine tonight. You're right, the RC36's are switchable between 80 and 100mm so I'll have to check the current travel too, can't remember what I;ve got them on!

I think of friend of mine has some proclass forks, might be able to convince him to swap but I seem to remember they were very flexy for my tastes.

Latest posts

Back