Will soon be doing my 1st resto, advice needed

Wal

Dirt Disciple
Afternoon folks,

I will soon hopefully be buying my first resto project which I intend to strip down, repaint etc.

Would anyone be able to give me some hints on stripping the old paint off the frame and any help on paint, whats the best paint to use etc??

Sorry to sound a dumb ass, never undertaken anyhing like this before :D

Cheers

Nitromors gets rid of most old paint/decals on steel frames,not overly recommended on alloy as it can soak into the porous metal making repainting a nightmare.

If youre going for a plain colour then maybe look at powdercoating as its a harder finish and wont chip as much.

andy.l":161syeh2 said:
Nitromors gets rid of most old paint/decals on steel frames,not overly recommended on alloy as it can soak into the porous metal making repainting a nightmare.

If youre going for a plain colour then maybe look at powdercoating as its a harder finish and wont chp as much.

cheers for that:D

If I were to get it powdercoated would I put the decals on and then laquer the frame afterwards???

Again, sorry if these are dumb questions :D

Dont know a great deal about powdercoating but pretty sure you dont put laquer on it.

Nitromorse is the best stuff for stripping old paint off but if you are going to get it powdercoated i would talk to them first as they may strip the frame as part of the deal, save you the hassle and mess.

Car paint can be used to spray a frame but it tends to chip easily.

Member on here Gil-m is the man to see for new decals ;)

Once you've painted your frame with car paint and applied decals then you can overspray with plasticote clear laquer, its tough and does not discolour. You can also buy a gizmo for a couple of quid that when fitted to a spray can turns it into a paint gun as it has a handle and trigger which makes delicate control of the spray easier. :D

Back