Lack of inspiration – build help required……Hei Hei

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Morning all,

Just before Christmas I acquired a frame that I had been lusting over for many years a Kona Hei Hei (1997).

Since picking her up she has sat in bubble wrap at my parents house (other side of the country). The thing is I’m lacking a little inspiration for building her up.

I currently have:

My Kona Caldera – long serving friend lovingly modernised – Do it all bike
My Saracen – currently set up as a road bike (slicks) – very fast + easy to ride
My GT RTS1 – Only real retroish bike – set up for fun

So what do I do with the Hei Hei?

I’d like to go the lightweight route as I think that’s what the frame deserves but that’s as far as I got…

Thoughts would be appreciated……….

If you already have a modernised do it all bike and a bike for the road why dont you do the lightweight build with nice choice bling (if you like bling) parts and keep it as a semi garage queen for dry weather use.

That's the route i'm taking with my Manitou, it's a long term project, dont really mind it sitting on the shelf (makes a nice ornament anyway :) ), and i'll wait until the right parts turn up for it.

(Hei Hei + Uninspired) = Does not compute.

Try just going out for a ride on it. You might be inspired.

When mine arrived, I immediately cannibalised one of my other Konas for parts and went on an all-day ride with mates the next day.

Some of the parts weren't great, but it didn't matter - I couldn't wait to ride it.

I got home after about 50 miles off-road noticeably less fatigued than doing the same route on the steel Kona; covered in frozen muck (me and the bike) and grinning like a fool (just me - the bike was unimpressed by my skills and had wanted to stay out longer).

Just ride it, mate.
Then sell the others.

Have you tried searching for Hei Hei, Merlin, Titanium, etc in both the readers bikes sections and in the gallery? Lots of inspiration available for free there! :D

If i had a hei hei , build would be :

Suspension pace forks as carbon goes well with titanium and they are light .

XTR groupset

Back