Spoke question

jez-4-bikes-max

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Im looking to get a rear wheel built up and fancy having a go myself.

Now - my question is, whats stopping me building the wheel with spokes from an existing rear wheel?

I understand that spokes really should be new, but at 50p a spoke (I need 36) I'd rather have a go at a recycled one just to see if it holds up?

The length has to be correct.

When you build a wheel, the spoke elbows get deformed differently depending on whether the spoke comes from the inside of the flange or the outside, or is leading or trailing. In theory you ought to match the spokes to their previous positions - if you look closely at the elbow of a used spoke it's not hard to tell which side of the flange it came from.

But in principle, there's no problem re-using spokes. Building a new rim onto an old wheel by taping the new rim to the old one and moving the spokes across one by one is standard practice. Spokes can outlast several rims. Sometimes it pays to change the nipples.

You should be able to do a bit better than 50p a spoke though. Have you shopped around?

Nothing's stopping you, I have re-built a front wheel with used spokes and it's holding up fine in the spare bike. On the other hand, in my experience no wheel builder that charges for his services will touch used spokes.

As said above in wheel building and use the spoke head deforms. There's a limit to how much total deformation the spoke head can take, so re-used will not be as strong.
Also there's a variation of deformation between used spokes, so the new build will start with "unequal" spokes. Hence it will be more difficult to get it straight and equally tensioned. It would also mean that once in use you need to true it more often.

Enjoy!!

Tape the new rim to the old one, with the valve hole in the same position.

Move the spokes across one at a time. You will retain the lacing and not have to handle or deform the spokes.

I've been building wheels with old spokes for years (tight git) - just check the cassette side for excess wear from the chain slipping off.

To be fair, I only use good quality SS second hand spokes and never had one go yet.

I always replace alloy nipples though.

Sorry to hijack this thread as I have been thinking of building a pair of wheels for a while but never had the balls to do it.

My Question is can you shorten longer spokes and re thread the ends ?? If so what is the thread size.

Jez, if it helps I have 2 mtb wheels (pants spec) if you want one to practice on let me know, you can have it for Karma

Cheers

Back