Radial Ringle

John,

The majority of CNC'd hubs are not laterally strong enough to build in a radial lacing pattern. Unlike forged hubs, where the bottom of the flange has a spreading footprint with a large surface area, cnc hub flanges typically are milled in a constant thickness to the hub shell, offering less resistance to the lateral forces.

Ringle was very specific in it's warranty statement that it would not condone or warranty radial lacing.

I believe there was even a previous post regarding this, with pics of fractured flanges as supplemental evidence.

Could you get away with it...probably. But with gorgeous anodized vintage hubs hanging in the mix, why risk it. They're beautiful with any lacing pattern :D

cheers,

rody

Ringle Ti-Stx

You could always look for a set of Ringle Ti-Stix!

I just noticed this on the back page of Dirt Rag #54 (Nov. '96) while reading about the next frame I will try and hunt down - Nuke Proof Ti.

Attachments

• Ringle Ti Stix.jpg
    Ringle Ti Stix.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 3,695
Yup, back in 94 I built some Mk1 bubbas with 12g tandem spokes radially, and no problems, and I have some bubbas at the mo built up radial that i use with slix as road wheels. Now as an aerospace engineer, and wheelbuilder of 15 years, I know that there is more strength available building 3x in the majority of cases, and I think we all understand why radial is arder on the flanges, but provided you go careful, you'll be ok. My 91 XT rear is still going strong half radial on the rear, and the flange lands on that are tiny, although that does have the better grain flow of being a cast hub. Hope this helps,

that radial ti stix front wheel pictured above never made it past the prototype stage as it wasnt strong enuff.

scant":2xrwmpbm said:
that radial ti stix front wheel pictured above never made it past the prototype stage as it wasnt strong enuff.

are you shure ? i had such a wheel (sold last year for 100.- euro..) and afaik it was a limited production of 200 pcs or so..

ride on

Back