Where do your loyalties lie?

RobSpecail222

Dirt Disciple
Hi all i'm a fairly newbie to this site and must say i addicted! i'm a proude owner of a 1993 KONA lava dome that i am bringing back to life! I was looking at the Jan BOTM and i must say there are some seriously fantastic pieces of kit! but i would not in a million yrs swap them for my kona! now is this because of the sentimental value of my bike or that if i brought the merlin that i wanted at the time i would now not be a kona head? As good as any retro bike may look all i want is a hei hei!!!

your thoughts plz..........

no loyalties, if i had the money, i'd BUY THEM ALL!!! :LOL:

only adhering to loyalty now cuz of financial constraints and sentimental value. ;)

There are 2 bikes in my shed that I'd never, ever get rid of. My wife knows this too, she understands, agrees and therefore would never even ask me to consider it.

My Pennine roadbike and my RTS.

The Pennine has covered many racing miles, won plenty of events and has shared many emotions with me. An unbelievable bike. Simply stunning.

My RTS has been owned from new, been raced, enjoyed leisure rides, jumped, crashed, been built in various guises but always loved by me.

2 amazing bikes.

My '96 Muni-Mula was the first "big" purchase I made. I was 14, I think, and I was so proud of that bike but i've sinced revived it as a "dinglespeed"

I toyed w/ the idea of selling it but I think it'll stay with me for a while. Or, it's possible that I put the gears back on and give it to my sister because she likes it.

Despite not currently owning one, my loyalties are with alpinestars. Never come around to my house i'll bore you to tears with old astars catalogues, clothing and parts.

i'm loyal brand wise but mainly it's related to whether or not that company treated me (or the shop i worked in) well when i was in the trade.

good brands for me, orange :D , giant, silverfish meaning rocky mountain, santa cruz, kona pre paligap when imported by 2nd level, gt bitd b4 caratti went in halfrauds, yeti, dmr and others i can't think of! :D

bad brands for me, felt, kona by paligap, cannondale, gt, mongoose, cube

the bad brands for me meant that i would never ride those brands again because i felt so badly treated, it wasn't just they went into the mailorder shops etc that helped bugger up our trade it was that the reps lied about it and said they wouldn't do it then it happened and they tried to justify it to us as a better thing. or when the importer played shops against eachother to try and get more business then end up losing business coz they pissed both shops off! except for cube where i knew the guy importing them and he got stitched up by cube when they went to hotlines which is effectively chainreaction and bypassed him. that was just rude!

sorry didn't mean to rant but i just like to explain my thinking so people don't think i'm just saying i hate something with no personal justification for it.

the bike trade behind the scenes can be awful and 2 faced, but i find the good companies are staffed by very good people and are absolute diamonds :D

had to finish on a positive note! :D and remember this is just my opinion, i don't mean to upset anyone!

Thought I would never sell my M2, but just have done

Haven't really got nostalgic attachment to any of my present bikes, but strangely enough the last one to be sold would be the only modern one.
Its a S-works M5 and even with my knackered old legs goes like the clappers

I have don't have any brand loyalty to bikes but am really missing my old Yeti that I foolishly sold last year :cry: I do however have loyalty to a few companys such as Oakley who have never let me down with a warranty claim and make the best looking/fitting glasses and titanium watches :D

Back