Finally after a decade of looking... It's now here. Pics.

Benandemu

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
My search paid off.
A genuine Marin one piece bar and stem combo in Titanium made in 1993, and further more it's NOS and direct from ATB sales themselves. It is destined for my 1993 Team Titanium. The last of the polished Litespeed ones, but with the blasted headtube welds and stays.

This is the only photo I have of one, but mine has no canti guide as it was meant for other brakes such as Maguras. The decal is in fact polished Ti with a decal applied, then blasted. Remove the decal afterwards and the result is lovely.

marin09.jpg

I remember they were several hundred pounds and run in very limited numbers.

I can't tell anyone else my excitement as they don't understand.

Now I know I've said that I don't like Marins because they are too ordinary, well hang my head in shame because I've never seen one of those before :oops:

Classy part, can't wait to see the full picture!

On a side note I wonder how many other companies have that sort of kit hangig around in back rooms? I do know that Chris Dekerf has a box full of 150mm ti bar/stem combos knocking around and is willing to sell em, but who else.....

It nearly made me cry when he told me that they gave up on selling off the Rockstar forks and binned an entire skips worth!!

Yes, there were lots of triple butted ones as well.

All the Marin accessory bolts in Titanium were relocated from the storeroom to his speedboat.

Just found an add in Mountain Bike International and the stem is listed a massive list of trick parts at $399. No wonder they're rare.

My next unicorn is the 1 year only Titanium rigid forks that were commisioned to be built by Litespeed. And yes, they are in the brochures for that year.

Benandemu":dkpa2vdt said:
My next unicorn is the 1 year only Titanium rigid forks that were commisioned to be built by Litespeed. And yes, they are in the brochures for that year.

is that the fully straight blade fork unlike the more well known curved blade? I know of a pair of the straight blade. 1in threaded.. not cheap tho.

nice find re the stem. i've always liked 1 piece bar stem combos & espically in Ti ;)

The forks are straight blade 1 1/8th as in the 1992 catologue, but they also appeared on some 1993 material they published.

See the link on galleries and archive...

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=12565

I always wanted the bike in the picture used by Marin. It was a picture of Bob Buckley on a 93 Team Ti looking over the bay area in San Francisco. The bike had a Ti combi stem, Manitou forks, M900 group, Marin Lite saddle and Marin Lite tyres. I could build that bike if I got some Manitous, as I have nearly everything else.

clicking that link gave me a "the file is damaged & could not be saved"
the forks I know of are deffo 1in threaded & deffo straight blade litespeed.

They would be suitable for the pre 91 Team Ti's as they were 1 inch. They were only available through Litespeed though I think. The Team Ti's were specced with Ritchey forks.

I took a photo of the page from the 93 catologue with both the detail of the ti accessories and the picture of Bob and his cool bike!

P1000544.jpg

P1000545.jpg

P1000547.jpg

P1000546.jpg

Don't know why the link is broken, but it's in the Gallery section under 1992 Marin catologues.

Back