Any Sunn experts?

JeRkY

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I asked the seller very similar questions to yours, but he didn't reply. That's why I didn't bid. I take it it's a 99 bike and I vaguely recall there may have been a model called Un, which if so would chime with something mentioned in the listing. I have the 98 brochure and in 1998, the top tube length of a size 16 was 53cm - i.e., that's the horizontal length of the c-c top tube. So not as long as the 'effective top tube', but still indicating quite a small bike.

I bid out of curiosity on this one really, As you say it does look small.

I have always fancied a play on one though

Hey, good win, I was hoping for that one. :x I haven't ever seen the softail versions other than in mags at the time and can't tell too much about the frame from the photo, but anyway based on the urge comp hardtail I have, here's what I remember.

I dunno what model it is (pretty high end likely), but it looks like probably around 1998, in those days the higher end models had a name, then with a suffix -comp, or un.

So the basic model, one with a high range spec and the race version shared the frame (the high end ones were fuji and are verrrry nice) , but had different components. IIRC in '98 the UN specced models towards the top end of the range came with ritchey cranks (2 rings- they were race machines) , ESP 9.0, Arch Rivals, sunn brubz hubs (possibly on syncros rims, almost certainly with hutchinson tyres) syncros stem and seatpost, and an assortment of sunn's own finishing kit, including turgid obsys air or carbon forks.

IIRC there were a few softail models of the higher end models, I remember MBUK gave one a great review, which were basically the same bikes, but with a softail setup.

If you have any old MBUK copies from around 1997-1999 Bikedock in NI had loads of sunn in stock in their adverts that might help you confirm the spec once you know what model it is.

Anyway, it should ride very nicely if the hardtail versions are anything to go by ( I know mine do, either in a retro guise or with modern kit) so congratulations :)

And if you end up with no space for it, I know someone who might.... ;)

My Exact from 1998 has columbus tubing but it was top of the range .

if you speak french , try to google , Sunn pro team forum . they might able to help .

Not so good on the french im affraid :oops:

But if any one with an account would care to enquire on my behalf I would appreciate it.

Taken from the Sunnproteam.com forum catalogue section. According to the 1999 catalogue, page 19 it is a Sunn Totall Un.

catalogue99vtt019oz1.jpg

Thanks loads! Top tube paint/decals look slightly different but it gives a good idea of the sort of specification that would have been standard on the frame.

I think its looking like a bit of a bargain!

Cheers to all of you for your help, I cant wait to pick it up.

JeRkY":5nbp4cxr said:
Thanks loads! Top tube paint/decals look slightly different

I think the top tube decal has just been removed, otherwise that is your frame. ;)

Good luck with the restoration and if you'd like help posing a question to the sunnproteam.com forum please just ask.

Cheers.

P.S. Yes you got a bargain. :cool:

Back