Stuck bottle cage bolt - help!

nimbus

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

I have a ti frame with alloy threaded inserts for the bottle cage bolts. Three of the bolts come out with no bother, but one (alloy) bolt is stuck fast. The insert rotates when I try to remove it, and it's too thin to grip it with pliers or similar.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Any bright ideas?

If I end up removing the insert itself, will I be able to find a replacement?

cheers

Yes, I had the same a while ago.

In the end I managed to get it out by kinda fixating the boss with a Swiss knife while unscrewing the bolt. If the bolt is really corroded will have a tough time. Hope for you that won't be the case.

i had this with a 2 month old gary fisher alu frame.... wrecked the insert getting the bolt out but it came out using same method as above but it came out and i just left the bolt out but the insert rattled in the frame (in my head :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ) so i sold the frame :oops: :LOL:

Elev12k":xmv4pikz said:
Yes, I had the same a while ago.

In the end I managed to get it out by kinda fixating the boss with a Swiss knife while unscrewing the bolt. If the bolt is really corroded will have a tough time. Hope for you that won't be the case.

Could also drip an anti-seize on and leave it overnight before fixating[ :? ]with the swiss knife ,might help a bit,can but try :D

Thanks for the ideas chaps. Had already tried spraying anti-seize, but may leave the frame upside down with the bolt somehow suspended in the stuff.

Will also try holding the insert with a knife instead of pliers.

cheers

Just drill it out and fit a new insert. They are just Rivnuts and your local Machine Mart has a Rivnut kit for about £20-25. Take your time but you be fine. I did one on my Cannondale last year.

Si

Dr S":1o1mun95 said:
Just drill it out and fit a new insert. They are just Rivnuts and your local Machine Mart has a Rivnut kit for about £20-25. Take your time but you be fine. I did one on my Cannondale last year.

Si

Thanks Si, good tip. Have done a quick search and found a way to seat the nut without the tool, which I will try on some scrap pipe first.

Buying rivnuts in quantities of less than 100 may be trickier...

cheers
al

We have a set of needle nose Vise Grips that works pretty good for this. Put down a piece of tape over the frame and grasp the side of the Riv Nut with the pliers. Usually takes a couple of tries to get the pressure right. The Riv Nut will end up with a couple of teeth marks on it but you'll never see them once the cage is installed.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Send me a PM when you have got it out and I'll loan you the tool and send you some Rivnuts. Get a piece of pipe and drill same size holes in it and have a little practice before fitting the new on to the frame though.

Cheers
Si

Back